Part 9

Lance stayed cut off from the others for awhile. He resumed formation and opened his com one way so he could hear but wouldn't respond. He just needed time.

Kosmo, as the team finally declared, spent most his time with Lance. Occasionally visiting the other Paladins or teleporting items and food to other lions as needed. Then he always went back to Lance. Often staying besides him just resting his head on Lance's lap.

Lance just needed time... well really he was stalling. The others had tied notes to Kosmo seeing Lance had cut off his com trying to reach him. Sending encouragement. That they would find a solution.

No one mentioned being angry... but they wouldn't admit it over a letter. Lance just didn't want to hear the anger... the pity. He knew it was coming.

Keith told Lance he just told them the basics. How long he had. Who caused it. How long they knew. That was it.

But then... that's all Keith really knew.

Lance looked at his hands which seemed unable to stop shaking every since that day. It made him sick to his stomach thinking about it. His secret out there for the others to know. Openly able to judge and pity him till he's on his death bed.

     The coughing seemed worse too. Now blood joining the occasional mix of petals that slipped from his mouth. Kosmo would whine every time it happened. Nudging Lance's arm trying to distract him from the pain.

     It was about five days after the fact when Lance finally asked Kosmo to bring him someone. The one person he could think of that had felt as lonely and miserable as he had. He ran his hand through Kosmo's fur as he asked him to bring her and with a pop he was gone.

     Lance stayed on the cot that he had in Red strangling his pillow into his chest just waiting. His eyes stinging violently trying to keep the tears at bay. He needed to know though what was going on. He knew who had going. To be honest with him that's why he called upon her, he knew she wouldn't sugarcoat it.

     A new pop rang through the room Lance only glancing up at Kosmo who teleported just before him. He let his eyes wander toward the hand on his collar and to it's owner. Pidge.

     "Hey Lance."

     Her voice was quiet. Hesitant. She was just as terrified being called on as Lance had been calling her here.

     She sat besides him on the bed placing a hand on top of his head. Relief swam through her as he sigh and snuggled toward her. Pidge just stroked his hair unsure why she of all of them had been brought here. She wasn't Keith, who Lance had trusted with the secret to begin with. Nor was she Hunk, Lance's most trusted friend. Even Allura or Coran who knew more about this alien stuff would have been a better choice. So why her?

     Lance scooted over gesturing for Pidge to lay besides him. She did letting Lance wrap himself around her letting his breath settle as he kept the tears at bay with every inch of his being. Pidge tightened her grip thinking back to all the times she snuck to Lance's room in secret while she was desperately searching for Matt and her dad. After countless dead ends and nights of just pure hell thinking of what could have possibly happened to her family she would seek the one bit of family she had near. Lance.

     Without Matt Lance became her big brother in a way. The corny jokes, the over protective ways he handled things when it came to her, and even times like those nights when she just needed a hug. Even at 2am.

     "How mad is everyone?" Lance finally muttered into her shirt

     "No one is mad Lance. Just confused. Why didn't you tell us earlier?" Pidge kept stroking his hair trying to get his heart rate to settle

     "I didn't want it to be something else we had to deal with. I figured it would just be easier on everyone."

     "No," Pidge said firmly, "We need you Lance. I don't know how you got it in that brain of yours that you are unneeded or the weakest link but it's not true. I'm sorry if we never did a good job showing it. I know we get too obsessed in our own works sometimes but I've never heck we've never meant for you to feel like that Lance. We love you. You are our friend , brother, and fellow Paladin. We would be lost without you do you understand?"

     Lance lost the battle of keeping the tears at bay. He nodded into Pidge's shirt accidentally letting a sob loose as he did. Pidge squeezes him tight resting her chin on his head giving him the time he needed to settle back down.

     "We will figure this out Lance I promise. Forget that stupid alien girl ok. She wasn't worth it. We will take care of you ok," Pidge soothed to Lance as his breath settled out

     "Sorry," Lance mumbled looking up at Pidge noting her wet shirt

     "Don't worry about it. You've done it plenty of times for me remember," Pidge smiled fondly at the thought

     Lance nodded with a small smile. He cleared his throat slightly pushing the urge of petals back down. It earned a worrying look from Pidge as she pushed his hair out of his face.

     "You need a haircut."

     "Look who's talking," Lance responded tugging the edges of her hair slightly

     She rolled her eyes sitting up watching in amusement as Kosmo now joined the pair in the bed as well. He rested his head on Lance's lap watching Pidge.

     "He's really taken to you huh."

     Lance shrugged running a hand through Kosmo's fur.

     "Look I can talk to the others about keeping off you if you want. But I will figure this out ok. I promise. Keith explained it the best he could but I have a feeling you have been holding out on him too. So I might need to ask questions. If that's ok..."

     "Thank you Pidge," Lance nodded letting a small smile slip to her

     She returned his smile wrapping him up again into another hug before Kosmo zipped her back. Lance stood heading toward the pilot's seat listen in as Pidge began to talk to the others.

     "Can you just... not mention it. To Lance. Don't talk about it behind his back. Don't be nosy. Don't be a dick. He's already going through enough he doesn't need your freakin eyes on it. He's finally allowing us to talk to him and for us to figure this out. If we want to keep our friend and family alive with us we need to work together and save him ok. I won't accept anything less than perfection got it?"

     Lance couldn't help but smile as the responses from the other lions rolled in. He hesitated slightly laying his finger on the switch. He swallows and licked his lips taking a deep and final breath just as Kosmo zipped back in. He clicked the switch turning his com back on.

     "Hey guys."