Part 37

Keith slept with Lance that night. He didn't give him much choice on that matter and Lance wasn't going to complain.

The moment both Hunk and Shiro's snores began to rumble through the room Keith snuck over to Lance's bunk. Lance simply grunted as Keith kicked him and Kosmo over slightly to make room. Keith pulling the blankets over himself and dropping an arm over Lance's waist. As always through they shifted into a tangled mess.

By the time Lance woke, a bit earlier than normal, Lance found his breath scattering itself across Keith's collarbone as Keith's head rested against his own. Arms and legs tangled enough that it took several slow movements to peel himself away.

He was grateful for it. One final night even if it left his chest heavy and raw.

Lance looked down at Keith gently moving his bangs from his eyes. Watching as Keith's nose scrunched slightly at the movement.

Lance would never regret loving Keith.

Lance left the room before anyone else rose. He had a few more things left to do and he couldn't do them if being followed.

Keith woke later than normal and felt a sharp panic enter his system realizing Lance was already gone. He quickly sat up and looked for the others. Both already left as well.

Keith checked the clock. An hour till Lance had to meet Mrs. Holt for surgery. He quickly jumped from the bed and began to strip only pausing as his shirt was halfway off.

There were envelopes on the beds just like the one Lance gave Keith to keep. Lance wrote to everyone.

Keith then realized he may not have even told the others what he was doing today. In an effort to keep himself distant. It hurt. It was stupid.

Keith felt a fury rise through him as he grabbed his own envelope that Lance left atop his pillow , stuffing it in his jacket pocket, and quickly heading toward the breakfast hall.

Hunk and Pidge were still there but almost finished.

"Have you all seen Lance?"

"He had a scan thing with my mom," Pidge said tossing a napkin on her plate

"Did he tell you he's going through with the surgery?" Keith still not sitting down but rocking on his heels instead

"Wait when?" Hunk asked looking away from his spoon

"This morning."

The pair froze glancing at each other then shooting you out of their seats.

"Why the hell did no one say anything!" Pidge hissed grabbing her plate quickly shoving it into the dirty dish station

"I had a feeling he didn't but I wasn't sure," Keith raised his hand to halt them, "Just... don't be dicks about it."

"The hell why would we. Sure we understand you given you two didn't always use to be joined at the hip but us?" Hunk seemed genuinely shocked at Keith's words

"He's scared," Keith cut in, "I'm assuming that's why he never said anything. So I just... let him be scared but don't be angry because he didn't say anything."

Keith wasn't sure if the words he used were right but they were true.

Pidge pushed her glasses back up in her face giving Keith a look. He felt like she was about to smack him but instead pulled her phone out instead, "Do the others know?"

"I doubt it. He doesn't want to tell his family though," Keith sighed sharing a look with Hunk who nodded

"I can see why. His mom always said he loved too much. Not sure how she would react about him going into a risky surgery where he's going to lose the ability to love. It's kind of what makes Lance Lance you know."