Part 17

There were more feelings that Keith had felt while stuck on the whale that he couldn't understand. Some had visions of it often time he could briefly see Lance but never exactly what was going on. He never really put it together either.

For the most part time blended together. It got confusing who's thoughts were who's and who's past or future was involved. Occasionally though Keith would just get that feeling. That sense of Lance. Waking up the next morning he quickly discovered one of those feelings.

Lance was still softly snoring as he should. He woke up three times in a panic. Dreams eating away his sanity. He would never talk about what they were but just fade back to sleep.

Watching him now, finally peacefully after the struggle of the night, curled slightly into Keith's chest Keith remembered one of those feelings. He had felt this before... just... not yet... not then.

Peace... peace of seeing Lance at peace was the best he could think.

His mind drifted back to the whale thinking of more moments. What he did last night with the hand in Lance's hair... was that something he would feel again in the future? It definitely wasn't something from his past. So it had to be something that would happen to him... but was it from Lance or someone else?

     Lance grunted slightly in his sleep curling closer to Keith for warmth. Keith's phone let him know he had ten minutes till the alarm went off. He glanced back down at Lance. His face still lined with worry even in his sleep.

Lance didn't deserve this. Sure he could be obnoxious and a bit of a loverboy but he had never done any true harm. He was always the one who had your back when you least expected it. He did his best even if the team failed to acknowledge it most the time.

Keith felt his gut twist. They could really lose him. They could really lose Lance if they didn't figure this out. It wasn't even about losing the pilot for Red and having to rearrange pilots again. The idea of losing Lance...

Keith gritted his teeth careful reaching for his phone. He sent a quick text to Krolia. More then likely she was awake. Keith was hoping maybe by some miracle someone in the Blade knew something to help. Anything. Even if it was just a way to convince Lance to try the surgery. Just to give the chance for Lance to stay.

His phone buzzed and he looked back down.

Still no signal from the Blade. I'll let you know. We are doing training runs this morning. Be ready.

Keith sighed looking back down at Lance. His nose crinkling again as if his mind was fighting another battle again. Keith careful nudged him. Kosmo stirring at their feet letting his thick tail hit against Lance's thigh.

Lance stirred groaning slightly but not yet awake. Keith's alarm went off moments later forcing the boys to rise fully.

"Krolia says we are doing training this morning. I'll be back later then," Keith said sliding off the bed stretching slightly

"You know I don't need a babysitter right?"

"I'm not being a babysitter Lance. I'm being a friend."

Lance turned to Keith with an odd look on his face. His blue eyes seemed shiny despite just waking up. He blinked a bit before turning away stretching and yawning to distract himself. Lance felt like his heart could be heard it was beating so loud. The scratching on his lungs strike forcing him into a bundle of coughing. A few petals slipped past despite his attempt.

Keith gaining an unrecognizable look on his face.

     Lance went to open his mouth to apologize but Keith held up his hand walking over and grabbing a water handing it to him. The tickle rises again before he could drink adding a few more petals to the floor. Keith pat Lance's back slightly awkwardly. There wasn't much he could do really as Lance chugged the water.

     As he finished Keith quickly bent down to pick up the petals earning a disgusted look.

     "Keith don't. There is blood and saliva on them. I can handle-"

     But Keith raised his hand again silencing Lance.

     He picked up the rest taking them to the trash. Lance groaned letting his head hit the wall behind him.

     He was ready for it to be over already. He didn't like the pity. He didn't like the pain. The consistent reminder that despite Keith helping him like this... Keith didn't love him.

     And it was literally going to be the death of him.

     "Feeling ok now?"

     Lance reopened his eyes looking up at Keith. He nodded slightly as Keith rested a hand on Lance's forehead. A small frown on his face.

     Lance felt his face heat up from the simple contact.

     "Are you sure? You feel a bit warm?"

     "I'm fine. Really," Lance squeaked sitting up letting Keith's hand fall as he did

     "We can skip training..."

     Lance stood fully shaking his head. He nudged Kosmo toward Keith.

     "No we train. I'll see you later ok... and thank you... for everything," Lance ducked his head to hide the heat creeping across it again

     Keith simply nodded letting his hand rest on Kosmo's fur feeling himself transport back to the Black lion. Shiro still bleary eyes as he looked up.

     "Is this the new cycle then? You staying over there?"

     "He has nightmares," Keith mumbled as Kosmo disappeared probably for the Yellow lion

     "He always has Keith... why are you just noticing them now?"

     Keith narrowed his eyes

     "What do you mean always?"

     Shiro shrugged running a hand over his face looking back out into the inky darkness around them.

     "I mean... even day one. I would catch him in random parts of the castle all the time because he couldn't sleep over them. I'm surprised you never noticed. You were just as active at night as he was."

     Keith frowned. How has he not noticed?

     "Kosmo is who keeps bringing me over when he has them. So I just... stay I guess."

     Shiro hummed just as Kosmo reappeared with breakfast from Hunk. Keith taking off a bit and tossing it to the wolf to eat. Shiro's eyes not leaving Keith as he passed the food out to the others in the back.

     When Keith came back to the front he raised an eyebrow at Shiro waiting.

     "Just... be careful. You are spending a lot of time with him. The flowers might not be contagious but you use to have a crush on him at one point. You awake those feelings and we... don't find help-"

     "We will," Keith set his jaw firm eyes narrowing at the suggestion, "We are going to find him help. He will be ok. Do not tell me to be prepared because I won't let him down. Got it."

     "That's not what I'm saying Keith. I'm saying be careful because if you aren't you are going to get hurt in this too."

     "And we should just let him suffer?"

     Shiro sighed pinching the bridge of his nose.

     "No. Look I'm stressed and worried for Lance too. I'm helping Pidge with anything I can on that data. We are going to find something to help. I'm just trying to tell you to take care of yourself too. Ok?"

     Keith grumbled scowling. His feathers ruffled and on edge. Krolia walked in as the pair took the last bites of breakfast in silence.

     "If you two are done fighting now I think we should get to training."