Marcus smiles at JJ as soon as she touches the tiles and I find myself frowning at him, almost warning him off. Of course he ignores me and continues to smile at her. I swear I'll kill him.

***

When we arrive at Emily's I knock on the door loudly and JJ laughs while grabbing my arm. She's opens the door, still in her pyjamas and I can't see Morgan anywhere. "Spencer, JJ!" Garcia jumps to her feet when we follow Emily inside and pulls JJ and I into her arms. "How are my little strangers?" JJ laughs and I frown, we're not strangers, we just enjoy our own company. "We're great." JJ replies as we take a seat on the sofa.

The toilet flushes and JJ's head shoots in the direction of the bathroom. Emily and Garcia begin to laugh as her eyes stay fixed on the door. "It's just Kate, you don't have to look so worried!" Emily begins to talk and I find myself smiling, she's just like her mum. Kate leaves the bathroom as Emily finishes talking and JJ breathes a sigh of relief along with a small laugh.

Morgan still hasn't shown his face and I begin to wonder where he is. "Where's Morgan?" Emily's eyes meet mine and she answers. "Oh, he's actually renovating a cabin in lost river state park. That's where we're spending New year and guess what?" we all look at her waiting for the rest of the sentence. "You lot are too!" she smiles and Garcia squeals.
"Spending New Year's Eve with my favourite people!" Kate looks at Garcia and I finally know what JJ's mum meant when she said she can tell by the way I look at her that we're not just friends.

"What part of the place?" I ask realising the room has gone quiet. everyone looks at me like it was an irrelevant question and I try to recover from the embarrassment. "Well the Park covers 3,712 acres, I was just... uh, making conversation." I force a smile and Garcia's girlfriend laughs at me. "Do you actually just know things like that?" My brows furrow at her question, I know that some of the things I say aren't exactly things people would 'just know', but that was just general knowledge. "He's a genius." Garcia answers for me and I laugh slightly. "I'm uh- I'm not a Genius." I smile naturally this time and Garcia whispers that I am to Kate.

JJ pushes her arm through the gap between mine and my body and I instantly relax. Knowing she's beside me makes everything better and I suddenly feel less awkward.

***

A few hours later Morgan returns home and I embarrass him drastically in front of everyone. The tables have completely turned when Morgan heads to the bathroom to take a shower and I'm sat laughing. It's usually the other way around, Morgan often embarrasses me in front of our friends and other people.

"How was the trip to your parents' house?" Emily asks, clearly trying to take the attention off what had just happened. "It was good. I really enjoyed seeing everyone and Henry is so big now!"
"He likes me more than her though." I joke while squeezing JJ's thigh. "I'm sure he does." Emily laughs, looks at JJ and laughs harder.

"He wants to stay at my house sometime soon, you can come and visit him when he does?" JJ offers and Emily nods. I guess she's also a big part of little Henry's life if she's JJ's bestfriend. It's a shame JJ chose to take me to her parents with her rather than Emily, I'm sure they would have enjoyed her company much more.

***

When we get back to our apartment building that night, JJ follows me into my apartment and runs straight to the bedroom. I laugh at her, knowing it's because she wants the best spot on the bed.

I join her in the room and find the woman I love wearing just my pyjama top and her knickers. She's surrounded by the mounds of pillows and blankets I own smiling at me because she beat me there.

I strip to my boxers and climb into bed beside her. She snuggles into my body and I kiss her head. After a few minutes I begin to drop off, but JJ's voice wakes me. "Spence?"
"Yeah?"
"We should have Henry here after new year?" She rolls over to face me, her dark face lit up slightly by the moonlight. I close my eyes again and grunt in approval while pulling her closer to me.