Chapter 89

Now as we drove off, I looked through the rare view mirror, watching as the bright lights faded into the background. Quiet tears fell as I took one shaky breath, still unable to process what it was that I saw. Scared, even though I know it wasn't real. It can't be real if I don't remember it.

"Waverly." Chase places a hand on mine, "What was that?" He asked, keeping his eyes on the road, and I sigh.

"I...I still don't know." I tell him through my broken voice almost as if it was a squeak. His hand squeezed tighter as I let the tears fall.

I've had these before but every time, they are still so different. Wherever these memories bring me, it always felt real. Whether it was in a room or outside, I felt everything. The wind, the land, the touches; I felt them like it was yesterday. These things, if they keep happening then they will drive me insane. I've been trying my hardest to not think much of them but when it's affecting me like this, it gets a bit too much. Maybe it's time to ask my mother about it?

"What do you mean you don't know?" Chase questioned, a bit too harshly this time. I turn to him to see why but his eyes softened, realising what he sounded like.

"I'm sorry. It's just...that wasn't the first time and I let it slide then, not anymore. If you need help, baby, then you gotta tell me." He assured me, his tone softening, and he catches my eyes for a split second.

"Chase...I don't know what they are and I'm confused. These things...it's where I get hurt and they feel real and...and..." My voice breaks into a panic, "My mom...he hurt her. Her hurt me... I don't fucking know what it is! I don't remember." I finally let out, harshly and almost a cry for help. I was a mess and I'm now just watching my world crumble to dust.

It's like all I've ever known was just a figment of something. I don't know which is real anymore.

Chase drove faster, gripping the wheel tightly as his jaw clenched, anger building up in him as I tried to silence my sobs. He stays silent for a moment as we begin our approach to the dorms and when he parked, that's when he turned to me.

His eyes were ablaze with fury for something I have yet to know, and my breath gets caught.

"Waverly....who hurt you?" He said with a silent rage brewing in his tone as he gripped both my hands in his. I let out a shaky breath, looking around as if trying to find a way out. Saying it to him makes everything I've seen real. It will make whatever I felt real, and I hate that. I don't want it to be real.

"Hey, angel, look at me..." He said softly, tilting my chin to face him. "Please tell me..who hurt you." He asked me, his gaze never leaving mine.

Finally giving in, I mumble, "My dad."

His eyes widened for a moment before it was overtaken by rage and disbelief. I watched him for a moment as he faced forward, driving a hand up to his hair as he huffed. He seemed just as mad as I am or if anything, even more.

"He what?" He tried to comprehend, and I saw the rage only growing in him leading me to realise that whatever was going in his head wasn't good.

"Chase..." I warned as I desperately try to calm him down too. Deep down I knew that he was going to react a certain way, but I didn't know it would be this.

He stays silent, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel as if he was deep in thought but I knew he listened. I wipe my tears and took a deep breath, eyeing the dorms and desperate for the fresh air outside. This is too much to dwell on.

"Where are you going?" Chase asked as I opened the door.

"I'm going to get my things, then maybe we can talk about this once we get back?"