Chapter 59

My dad is there, standing with both hands on his hips, nostrils flared and a blazing gaze on the boy behind me. On the other side of the room was Julia with a horrified look on her face.

Why is he here? The last thing I want is him finding out about Chase and me—it whatever this is. I know he told me to stay away but I don't think that's what he's here for, not only for that at least. I can tell he's been waiting.

"Dad?" I furrowed my brows at him, not knowing why he's here.

"So this is what you do now? Hanging out with boys like...that?" He menacingly pointed out Chase and I frown at him. What the hell?

"First of all, you're the one who came here unannounced and second, Chase and I were..." I trailed off, trying to find the strength in me to argue with him. I feel Chase tense up behind me, and I knew he didn't like the way my dad spoke about him.

"...breakfast. How was the breakfast guys?" Julia cuts in, a clearly promising lie and I held a breath.

"Yeah, " I say to my father, but I knew I made it sound like the lie it is.

"You and you, " he angrily pointed a finger at Julia and Chase, "Out!" He yelled and I flinch. It's been a while since I've seen him this mad.

"No, " Chase argued sounding like he couldn't really care less and I turn to him as if asking what he was doing but he only shrugs.

"Mr Michaels, get out!" My dad yelled one more time, and I watched as Chase tried to take a step forward, but I stop him. I can see that he was getting just as angry as my dad, and I don't think it would end well like that. This is all happening too fast for me. Just minutes ago I was with Chase laughing and smiling and now we're here in what seems like a battlefield.

I looked at Chase, who was questioning me and my actions, but I shook my head. "Just go, " I pleaded, but he only frowns.

"With this asshole screaming at you?" He snarled, and I flinched at his words.

"Excuse me? I'm your professor." My dad remarked, and I feel my heartbeat out of my chest as I try to keep these two guys calm. This cannot be happening.

"Probably why your daughter hates you so much, " Chase spat and my eyes widened. I know he's trying to help, but he's just digging a bigger hole for him and me.

"Chase, please. I'll be fine, " I pleaded one more time, this time harsher to get my point across. He clenched his fists until they were pale, but only glared at my dad one last time before walking out to where Julia was already waiting.

Soon as the door clicked shut, I knew I was in it. My heart went a million miles and my hands trembled behind me as I kept them out of sight. It's been a while since I've seen my father this angry, and I've forgotten how monstrous he gets.

He looks at me with disappointment and anger as he paced around, trying to calm himself down—I hope.

"So I get you to college, and you go hook up with some guy?" He barked disgustedly and my breathing stopped.

"What? No! What the hell?" I let out and he looked at me like I was being stupid.

"Well, if that's not the case, then how do you plan on explaining those bruises on your neck?"

My head spun as I gasped, instinctively bringing my hand to cover my neck. Oh, my God.

"How dare you take this opportunity for granted, Grace?" He said and I find myself speechless. I can't believe this is happening. I'm not thinking straight, I haven't been thinking straight, but that doesn't make him the right one, not completely at least.