Chapter 26

"I like you better when you're drunk, " Courtney confessed with her nasally voice as I sat back down beside Christian who now had an obvious shock written all over his face. I know I will regret everything I did by tomorrow, that is, if I remember it.

"Me and you both, " I hooted back making everyone else laugh and Courtney smirks.

"Awww poor Chase. He didn't get a hot smooch, " Xavier teased and everyone looked at Chase. He didn't look mad, no, he looked raged. He looked at me with narrowed eyes, balled fists and a heaving chest. I don't know what he was really mad about. If he wanted to make out with someone, he already has a girl right next to him. Why would he be pissed about me kissing Devon?

"Shut up, " he growled back at Xavier, who raised his hands in mock defence.

"All right, Jesus, calm down. Just because you didn't get some hot chick on—"

"Finish that sentence McKnight and you will get exactly what you deserve," the tension in the group seemed to have doubled in just seconds as Chase spat at Xavier who glared back at him. Courtney glares at me and everyone shifted uncomfortably. I'm not bothered at all as I took another swig of my drink.

"All right kids, let's not be bitter." Dani sassed, lifting some tension.

"Right, have you got anything for anyone, Grace?" He continued.

"Devon, truth or dare?" I slurred, and everyone's immediately intrigued and leaned in to listen.

"Truth, "

"Pussy, " Chase scoffed and received a deathly glare from Devon and I try to fight a smile.

"All right...how...how was the kiss?" I managed, my words fuzzy. I watched as the anger in Chase's eyes deepened soon as the words rolled off my tongue and I can't help but felt empowered. Empowered that I can make him this mad.

Devon nodded with a smirk playing on his lips, "Honestly, " he huffed, "I really didn't enjoy the first one. I think I need to get another hit, " the fake disappointment in his voice is enough to make me laugh and everyone cheer in enjoyment. Christian and Dani looked at me as if they didn't know me, and Brianna seemed to enjoy what was happening.

"All right, move on." Chase snarled, leaning back to his seat, and I watched Courtney roll her eyes. Then her lips upturned into a scheming smirk towards me.

"Right, I have one for you, babe, " she cooed, running her hands over his white shirt and it only seemed to anger him even more and he huffed.

"What?" He growled and Courtney smiled flirtatiously.

"It's a dare, " she adds.

"Go on, " he seemed more impatient now, but his sullen angered eyes never left mine. I gulped down the last of my third bottle as I felt the fear creep up again.

"I dare you to call everyone to look over here and..." She looked at me, "...humiliate Grace and dump your beer on her."

I expected everyone to laugh, but they all protested.

"Whoa, what? Courtney, that's so wrong." Brianna defended disturbed but Courtney only shrugged.

Even in my drunken state, I couldn't help but shiver at that thought. I came to this party to forget, not destroy myself. I guess I've already done that, anyway. Chase wouldn't do it, would he? He promised not to be a jerk, and he was very truthful when he said he wanted to start over.

Chase leaned back in his chair but said nothing. She glared at him, but the scheming look she dawned never disappears. "Oh, come on, you coward." She pushed, and I gasped at his answer.

"Oh, I'm not, I'm just thinking of what to say." A smirk played on his lips and everyone in the group protested against it. Well, everyone but his sick friends.

"What the fuck dude, you seriously aren't considering it?" Christian questioned the concern and sudden anger clear in his voice. As he spoke, I feel my heartbeat race and my head spun even worse than it already has from all the alcohol.

"Well, if she wants to be friends with is, she needs to know how it feels, right?" Jess yowled and my eyes widened. Jess never struck me as someone who would agree to this. She seemed sweet and nice.

"What the fuck Jess?" Christian raised as he stood defensively. And I can't help but feel the guilt rising in me now. Jess only shrugged with a laugh, and I noticed how Brianna looked at her with disbelief.

"All right, move out my way Chris, " Chase impatiently said as he moved towards us. Christian stood his ground, and he stood between me and Chase.

Chase only raised his eyebrows before calling out, "Hey, everyone! Come see this!" His shouted, his veins popping out of his neck and the heads of everyone around turned to us. My heart drops as everyone started making their way towards us. Some were whispering to themselves and some watched with curiosity.

I felt small, smaller than when I had arrived here. Even the alcohol didn't seem to help anymore. I gazed up at Chase worriedly. Words were a blur to me so I just stared at him, begging him not to do it.

"Chase this is sick and you know it. Stop." Dani interjected between all the tension, but Christian and Chase only stood face to face fo each other and I became afraid that they would hit each other.

Chase scoffed at Christian and harshly pushed him aside, receiving a few protests and profanities from everyone in the group, but those who watched only laughed. It wasn't until then I had finally noticed he was holding a full bottle of beer in hand.

My breathing quickened as Christian tried to launch at him, but Devon stopped him, who seemed intrigued by what was happening. I felt a lump grow in my throat and a pit in my stomach. I felt sick. I knew it was all too good to be true; I was just too naïve.

"Chase...please." My obnoxious voice falters into that of a little critter. I looked up to him with pleading eyes and his jaw clenched. Concern flashes in eyes. But this time, I knew it was all a lie.

The loud chatter and some reasoning from the group muffled and merged into one ring as Chase crouched down to my eye level. I feel his breath on my face and my heart beats quicker. His eyes were now on fire and were lit up by the dim of the fire. I gulped and waited for him to say something.

"Contrary to popular belief, I am actually not heartless." He said loud enough for everyone to hear and the crowd booed in disappointment. A surge of relief fills me and I let out a breath. But when he smirked, I knew I reacted too soon.

"But, " he started, lifting his hand with the bottle of beer, "I like to have fun, "

I gasped as I feel the cold and sticky liquid drip from my head. My clothes and everything else now drenched and I hear the muffled cheers of everyone around. I panted, trying to catch my breath as the liquid covered my face and I stood up. The cold of it seemed to have awoken me and I looked around regretting it soon enough.

Chase flashed a regretful look as he walked away, back to his seat. Everyone was laughing and taking pictures, and I felt as though the land beneath me was about to swallow me whole.

Christian launches himself towards Chase and everyone stood from their chairs in utter shock pulling the two away from each other and I stood there. I was helpless and still felt everyone's eyes on me. I stepped backwards, unable to keep my balance as everything spun faster than my mind can handle. I was at a loss.

I looked at Dani who seemed to say something, or rather shouting at Chase like everyone else was — everyone who cared at least.

This can't be happening. I can't be here. How stupid am I to believe that he will hold off on his stupid acts? How stupid am I to trust him, when I couldn't even trust myself?

He must've been waiting for something like this to happen to me and I gave it to him like the naïve little girl I am. I'm falling apart again and he's already seen enough of it.

Before I knew it, I was pushing people out of my way as I struggled to breathe through the smoke-filled house. I need to get out. I don't have any way home but it doesn't matter; I need to go. I just wanted to disappear. So I run out into the street, wet and clueless, tears pricking my eyes as I try to find my way out.