Chapter 88

After that successful encounter, Chase and I got ourselves a table, and I got myself a drink, which he refused to do. Looking around was very daunting since everywhere you turn there's either Zeke speaking to some famous Hollywood model or Claudia and Dereck talking to a few A-listers. Thankfully, none of my heroes was here or it would've been the end of me.

"Did you really just get juice?" Chase laughed while we stood around a table for two, waiting as it was announced that Dereck had a few words to say.

"Yeah and?" I chuckled, taking a sip of the cool iced tea that I took from the buffet table. Even this simple drink tastes like a luxury.

"You didn't even get anything?" I gesture toward the space in front of him as the lights dimmed with a spotlight shining in front of the stage. I can see Chase trying to ignore what was happening with all of his ability.

"That's because I'm driving."

"That never stopped you before, "

"That's because you weren't around. I wouldn't risk you for my temptation to drink."

My heart skips, it always does when he says the sweetest things. He has really gone soft.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Mr Michaels for a few words." The announcer said, and everyone erupted in applause as Dereck approached the stage.

Immediately after we turned, Chase tenses again so I move closer to him. No matter how nice he has been around his own family, he still had a history, a traumatic one that even until now I still haven't processed properly. That's why I still wouldn't let him worry. "Are you ok?" I asked him.

"Yeah, you?" He gulped as he looked at me, worry and discomfort lacing his beautiful eyes. He nibbled on the metal on his lip nervously and I rub his back to reassure him.

"Good evening and a Happy Birthday to my son, Ezekiel. Though I know he hates that name." Dereck joked and a few laughs echoed through the hall.

"It's been a good seventeen years with him. Through thick and thin, Zeke had always risen up for support and encouragement. He has always been very bright and business savvy as we would like to call it. He is the epitome of a perfect son, " Dereck paused and looked over to Chase who was tensed and already enraged by the statement. I was too but I waited for him to finish.

"However, he isn't the perfect son. No one is." He continued and I breathe in relief.

"The past few years proved that to me. My sons: Zeke and Chase have been amazing in their own particular way that it would be wrong to call one perfect because...they both are very different, very ambitious though. It's quite ironic because Zeke is the most business-oriented yet he is too young and frankly, I don't trust him to run a company like ours." He laughed and I look over to Zeke who seemed to be enjoying his own father's jokes.

"Chase, on the other hand, does not have any interest in business but knows a lot about it. Too much, even. He knows how to run a business whether he would like to deny it or not. That's why I trust him with the company after me.

" Now, you all must probably think why I must talk about these things...well, it's because I want to show you how both my sons are thriving. They are very different people and will grow more different. It's still so fresh in my mind how these two would play in our backyard, chasing each other as teenagers, running around in circles. Now, I have two adults in hand, well, one adult and one closer. It wouldn't be so long before these two work together as a team for our company, and that is surreal." Dereck continued almost moving many to tears including me by how his nostalgia came out as choked words.