Chapter 67

Completely soaking the sundress I was wearing, I stood there with the water up to my stomach, looking around.

"Chase, this isn't funny!" I called out. I haven't seen him, so by instinct I immediately went further into the deep-end, assuming that's where he would be hiding.

I can't believe that he went to being vulnerable to ultimately talking me into doing this.

"Chase!" I called again, now feeling a bit worried. Can he hold his breath for that long?

My worry subsides when I see his lean body swimming in front of me. He resurfaces, his hair a mess as he tried to fix it, now standing just a few inches to me.

"Finally, you decided to join me, " he smirked and I roll my eyes at him.

"Ok, I dipped in, can we go now? They'll be here soon." I tell him, looking around as if expecting to find someone there. When I looked back at Chase, he had an amused look in his eyes. I feel my cheeks warm at his intense gaze.

"I'm sure they're still busy getting drunk off their asses. We got time."

I smile as I watched him turn around and walk towards the deep end until the water was up to his chest.

"Come, " he invites me and I frown at him.

"I am not going there, " I object. He is much taller than me and if the water is up to his chest, I would drown.

"It's not that deep, " he teased playfully, but I only cross my arms at him.

"Easy for you to say, you're taller than I am."

"It's just water, " he chuckled, and I looked away from him in embarrassment. Yeah, it's a silly fear, but it's real.

He groans, "Fine, I'll hold you up." He assured me, swimming backwards, further.

"Chase..." I hesitated, looking around, trying to find a way out only to be distracted by him, swimming towards me before holding a hand up.

"Trust me, it's nice."

I chewed on my lips as he stood before me with his hand out. Trust him. Seems to be something I can't imagine doing, but ironically enough, I trust him.

I finally cave in, giving an irritated breath as I placed my hand on his. He smiled widely, gripping my hand, and I started following him into the water. The warmth slowly travelling up my body as my dress bunched up higher and I try to pull it down.

When we finally reached the point where the water was up to my lips, I start to panic but he only looked at me, pulling me by my hips to which he lifts me up to his legs. He held me close, having my arms wrapped around his neck. The water took some of my weight away from him and my panic subsides.

"See? Not bad, " he panted as water splashed on his face. I watched as the remaining sunlight made his wet face glisten, his blue-green eyes bright as they looked into mine. They were soft and inviting, not scary and intimidating.

I smiled at him, "Yeah, "

"It's beautiful today, " he mused, looking over at the beautiful sunlit sky, but I only watched him, braving a question.

"What are we?"

My fingers played with the few hairs on the back of his neck, trying to soothe him, and I watched as a shadow of a frown shows itself when he looked at me.

"I still don't do girlfriends." He mumbled and my heart sinks.

"Oh, " was all I could so as my gaze falls. I loosen my arm around him, but he holds me tighter.