Chapter 45

"Hi, I...uh, I'm Grace Parker. I'm here for an interview?" I say to the redheaded lady at the front desk who looked up to me with a warm smile. I can hear the distress in my voice as a try to push back what just happened. I don't want my interview put at risk because of some stupid argument.

"Right, yes. You're early, so that's good. Mr Rose is waiting for you in his office. Just on the third floor, first door to the left." She tells me sweetly and I smile at her faintly.

I bounced my way, brushing out my sleeves, trying to make myself look more presentable despite the clear tears that made their way out.

I bit my lip as I try harder not to break down and cry while I go into this interview. I knew he'd do this. I always know, but I just don't listen to my instincts. I just let everything slide and let everything happen because I wanna believe that it will be different each time. Pity, I knew it from the start. Once it wore off, we're back to square one. That's always been the case. It's either he wants something from me or he feels pity and I let him get what he wants. Why? Because I'm stupid.

God, I even tell myself that I never believe in love and here I am contemplating the one boy who can prove to me why I don't believe in love. Every single boy I've ever been with wasn't a love affair, it was construction work. All it ever it has been us using each other as tools. You're broken? I'll help. I'm broken? He leaves. That's what love is to me, yet here I am, thinking about the one Chase who is giving me all the reasons not to love- but making me see more than what I need to.

The pitched ding of the elevator snaps me out of my thoughts and I quickly made my way out.

I walked out, and I marvelled at the interior of this place. It was modern but industrial all the same. It's a small building with only three floors but I didn't expect much, this is basically just a branch of studios. The smell of coffee and paperwork filled the air and made the atmosphere more professional. I'm quite intimidated by it all, I've never worked on settings like this. Maybe coffee shops and McDonald's but never somewhere professional.

I follow the lady's instructions and I face a dark wooden door just a few steps from the elevator. On it was an inscription:

Mr Joseph Rose
CEO

I took a deep and shaky breath to ease my already helpless nerves before knocking at the door.

"Come in!" Yells a voice with a thick southern accent and I follow.

"Mr Rose?" I said, poking out my head through the door.

"Ah, Miss Parker, isn't it? Please come in, " the man who dawned a two-piece black suit and greying hairs invited and I smile at him.

He's tall, looks as though he is in his mid-40s and has the body of a bodybuilder, he sure looked intimidating besides the glasses he wears professionally.

"Please, take a seat." He says with a smile after we'd shaken each other's hand in courtesy.

The office I am in now is spacious and simplistic. The awards their studios have won hanging on the walls for everyone to see. Behind the dark cherry wood desk of his is a vast window looking out into the majestic view of the city- well, not as much.
Shelves of books line one side of the room and the other was a beautiful sitting area with a fireplace in the middle.

I had definitely expected something much different from this. This only makes things more intimidating than they already are.

"So, Ms Parker, I understand that you study in LAU. One of the most prestigious unis here in the US. Must be an impressive deal." He begins as he picked up a folder from one of his drawers.