Chapter 34

His words were enough to send my heart into overdrive. The thought of him having an awful week or even just a feeling of dissatisfaction upon not seeing me even if it just means fighting feels is flattering.

"Oh, " is all I could say, leaving me speechless at the subtle hint. I don't wanna get my expectations up with how he thinks of me. I'd like to believe that maybe a part of him isn't just out to get me.

"Yeah, it's boring not having someone to throw knives at." His voice sounded ominous, but I braved to pick up the humour in it as I chuckled. He stays silent as I looked down shamefully.

These silent intervals that's meant to feel uncomfortable felt rather gentle. There wasn't any tension or a sense of impending doom, not like it used to around him. I wonder how someone could make me feel so scared once but then make me feel comfortable the next. How can someone be so unpredictable?

"Can I ask you a question?" He sighs, making me look back up to him and his eyes fixated on my laptop next to him. I furrowed my brows at him before responding,

"Sure, " his eyes snapped back to mine and his eyes and brows joined out of curiosity.

"Can I listen to the song you wrote... The one about me. Or anything?" His strong eyes never faltered, even though the slight embarrassment was clear in his voice. My lips part at the request. I was sure that he will say something insulting breaking the chain of his good deeds, but I am relieved when he didn't. I really don't want him to return to what he used to be.

"S—sure, yeah, of course." I stammered, still unsure if he was being serious or not.

He scooted over back to the edge of my bed, leaving a space beside him for me to sit. I grab the headphones from my desk and sat beside him. I feel my heart race as soon as I sat down, and the air between us seemed to have grown warmer and continued rising. He stays silent as I plug in the headphones and looked for the music he wanted.

When I found the song he was referring to, I hesitated for a moment. I don't exactly know if I wanted him to hear it, but he's the co-writer anyway, so it won't hurt, but I don't know what he's gonna think about the lyrics I wrote in. I never really got to think about what I wrote that I forgot the exact words, but I know he would pick it up.

I hand him the headphones and at the slight graze of our hands, the same electricity from the other times we've touched flowed. This feeling seems to persist, even though what has happened lately has changed a lot.

Once he had put on the headphones, I played the song and watched his reaction.

His eyes come to a close as the song begins. His aggressive features soften and his tight grip on the photo in his hand loosened. He looks as though he had teleported in another life, ironically enough that's the title of the song.

I watched as his mouth twitched, trying to stop his smile. I feel my own lips turn to a smile as I watched the heavenly sight. He looked blissful. The way he listened to the song is indescribable. He seemed lost in it, and it made me think about all these emotions I'm feeling.

With how I'm watching the smallest of things, there is definitely something more to this emotion.

Sure I was happy when we didn't talk to each other, things were going great for me. I was never mad or sad; I haven't cried this whole week. I didn't have to worry every day for insults and random fights. I didn't have to think much, but that made it boring. It made time pass as it meant nothing. And I want it to mean something.

When Chase was constantly everywhere I went, things seem to slow down. I pay attention to more details; I get in touch with my emotions and I become cautious, but without him, I go into things without a thought because I didn't have to worry; I knew what I was doing. With Chase, everything I do is a surprise as much as it is for him, he brings out the worst in me. Maybe, just maybe, I like him — all of him.

As the song finally ends, he opens his eyes, and they flashed to mine. His lips turned to a faint, satisfied smile as he lifted the headphones off. It hasn't occurred to me how close we are until now. His knees touching mine as my one leg is on the floor and the other I sat on as I faced him fully. His cologne was all there is, and the way he looked at me this time — didn't make me feel small.

"That..." He paused, "...that was something." I can tell that he couldn't form the right words, he looked around trying to think right. I chuckled upon his uncertainty, finding it interesting how he is acting like a normal person.

"Thanks, I guess." I blushed. After a few beats of silence, he speaks again,

"Did you mean it?" He asked, the seriousness in his tone back again, and my smile falters.

"What do you mean?"

"The words. The song." He clarified and I feel my heart skip a beat. He caught on. To be fair, the lyrics weren't that much implicit.

"I—" my words falters as I watched his pupils go dark. His bright features following. He didn't look angry or anything, but it was an expression I've only gotten a few glimpses of. His eyes flicked to my lips and I shudder. I cleared my throat as I feel the air get warmer and his eyes snapped to mine again.

His beautiful eyes seemed to have unique colours in them the more I look. My eyes flicked to his lips unintentionally and I feel fire rise in me as my breath hitched. He was closer to me now, dangerously close.

"Which...which...uh...which words." I gulped.

"In another life maybe I'd look at you like I need you, instead of I hate you," he whispers and I feel his warm breath tingle on my lips as he comes closer. The subtle mint in his breath wakes my senses but only warms my body.

All air in me disappeared at the mention of the words. I had forgotten how stupid and crazy the lyrics I've written were and now I feel dumb.

I feel my cheeks warm up even more and I shift under his gaze. "Did you?" He grilled further, his voice soft yet smokey. His eyes never leave mine and I feel goosebumps crawl up my body in anticipation.

"I...I don't know." I lie.

I watched as he laid down the Polaroid on my side table and reaches for my laptop that sat on my lap and he puts it aside, his eyes never leaving mine. My heart races further at the gesture as his hands slightly graze my half-covered skin.

I can't think straight, and my mind feels as though it's intoxicated by him. I gulp again as I watched him bring his hand up to my cheek. His electrifying touch alerts me and I shudder under his touch. Should I stop him? Can I stop him?

"Waverly..." My name never sounded so sensual and gentle all the same, never did until it comes from his lips. "...I think you've been lying to me, " his words gets me off guard through his hushed tone. He was so close I could practically taste his lips.

"What do you mean?" I let out quietly, too seductively for my liking. He lets out a breath as if he's been holding it in as his lips part. I take a sharp and unstable breath as his eyes encapsulated me. His hand caressing my cheek so gently it scared me.

"I don't think we can just stay away from each other, " he breathed.