Eddie Goes Back to Work

June 7th 2021
Today was the big day. Eddie would be returning from maternity leave, leaving Alaina behind for a whole day for the first time ever. She had mixed emotions, she was excited and terrified at the same time. She was scheduled 7-5 and Jamie was 8-4 so she wasn't even going to see Nicole today because she'd be here 8-4.

Shes been up since 5 with Lainey, just soaking up the last hour and a half she had until she had to go. She drank her coffee and snuggled with her on the couch.

"Why were you up so early?" Jamie asked at 6 when he came out to see her on the couch.

"You know, just loving on her a little bit." Eddie said.

"Did you eat anything?" He asked.

"No I don't really have an appetite." She said.

"Oh well I'm gonna make myself a burrito, you want one?" He asked.

"No Jamie." She said bluntly.

"Just wanted to make sure." He said and headed for the kitchen.

"I just said I didn't have an appetite." She told him.

"Eddie relax, she's going to be fine and you're gonna love getting back to work." He told her. She didn't say anything, she got up and went to their bedroom to get dressed and ready to go. Jamie let her go and just made his burrito.

When he was done eating he decided to go talk to Eddie. She was getting Alaina dressed for the day.

"How you doing?" He asked standing next to her.

"I'm fine." She said.

"Are you?" He asked. She stopped and evaluated her true feeling...she started crying.

"No..." she sniffled, losing it. Jamie knew he was right. He put his arms around her and let her cry into his chest.

"It's gonna be okay." He rubbed her back, innocent little Alaina was just laying on the changing table beside them not understanding anything going on, obviously.

"I know. Huh..." Eddie let go of Jamie and wiped her face.

"I think I should just go awhile." She said seeing it was 6:30.

"Okay, yeah. I think that's a good idea." He told her and picked up the baby. He followed Eddie out and watched her put her shoes on, grab her purse, put her gun on and everything. She was ready to go and just stood there looking at Jamie holding her 8 week old little girl, she was gonna lose it again.

"Say, I'm going to be okay mommy, have a good day, I love you." Jamie said waving her little hand at Eddie like she was talking.

"I know. I love you so much." She said and kissed her head.

"Now go kick ass." Jamie said smiling, that made Eddie smile and kiss him goodbye.

"I'll see you soon, love you." Jamie said and watched her leave the apartment.

———

Jamie got to work and was in the locker room getting ready for his tour when Eddie came in.

"How'd it go?" She wanted to know not caring about the 2 other guys getting dressed.

"Officer Janko...wait out in the hall and I will be out in a minute." He said widening his eyes, keeping it professional. She rolled her eyes and left the locker room annoyed. She waited in the hall like Jamie said.

"You can't do that Eddie. We gotta keep it professional here, it sucks but you know that's just how it is." He said quietly to her when he came out.

"How did it go

"How did it go..!?" That's all she wanted to know.

"It went fine, just like we thought." He said.

"Okay but did you tell her when she ate last and-" Eddie started to say.
anu
"Eddie...yes she will be fine. Now stop and get your head in the game, don't give anyone a reason to take you off the streets." Jamie told her firmly as a segeant, Espinoza was getting closer to them.

"Yes sir." Eddie said and walked away.

"Everything good with Janko?" He asked Jamie after seeing her walk away looking a little scattered.

"Yes sir, just checking up on her, today is her first day back." Jamie said respectfully.

"Right, do you see that distracting her from the job?" He asked.

"Not at all sir." Jamie boldly said.

"Good. Get to work." He said and kept walking. Jamie continued on to get to do roll call, hoping Eddies head was in fact in the game today and her judgment was 100%.

———

Jamie got home at 4:30, Nicole was sitting on the floor doing tummy time with Lainey.

"Hey." Jamie called out.

"Hi!" Nicole said.

"How'd she do?" Jamie asked after he set his stuff down and went over to see her.

"Great!" She took 3 good naps, and her last bottle was at 3:45ish." She said and rolled Lainey back to her back because she started to lose strength to hold up her head.

"Wow, that's great. Thank you so much, Eddie will be happy to hear it, she was a little worried about today." Jamie told her and picked Lainey up.

"Hi sweetie." He kissed her head.

"Thats understandable. Hopefully it gets easier for her." Nicole said and started to make her way to the door, grabbing her purse.

"It will, I think by the end of this week she'll be golden. Anyway, thanks again, we still good paying bi-weekly?" Jamie asked.

"Oh yeah that's fine!" She said getting on her shoes.

"Okay well you let us know if you ever need it before that okay?" Jamie told her.

"I will, thank you!" Nicole said and headed for the door.

"No problem, Have a good night and we will see you tomorrow." Jamie said and smiled.

"Yup! See ya, bye Lainey girl." She smiled and left. Jamie was happy, the apartment wasn't a mess or anything, baby was happy, Eddie would be home in an hour.
———

Eddie came home and went right over to see Alaina in Jamie's arms, they were sitting on the couch watching tv.

"Lainey...hi peanut. Huh mommy missed you so much." Eddie said to her when Jamie gave her to her.

"Nicole said she was great, she took 3 good naps, ate well, was happy.." Jamie rambled to satisfy her thoughts.

"Awh good! That's so good sweetie, mommy was a little stressed out today." She told her taking her from Jamie.

"I didn't know what you had planned for dinner so I just put a frozen pizza in the oven?" Jamie asked.

"Oh right, I have to figure out meals and go to the store sometime... Don't worry I'll have it all figured out." Eddie said.

"I know. I can help too, maybe we can figure that out tonight and go tomorrow after tour?" Jamie asked. Eddie liked that idea, but she wasn't concerned she was just happy to be home holding her baby, She missed her so much.
—————
Do you think Eddie will be able to balance her job as a police officer and her job as a mother/house wife?