Water Under The Bridge

The next day- Thursday April 13th 2023

Today Jamie was at work and was having Joe come down to talk to him again about the other day like he'd promised Eddie.

"Sergeant..." a voice called out from behind Jamie as he was filing some papers behind the front desk.

"Hey, thanks for coming down, come with me." Jamie said after turning around to see Joe standing there. He walked him back to his office.

"Take a seat." Jamie said and did the same himself, he started clicking around on his computer.

"I think I know what this is about." Joe said. Jamie looked at him and sat back in his chair.

"I want you to watch the body cam footage from officer Janko Tuesday night." He said and pressed play.

When it was over Jamie didn't say anything he waited to see what Joe was going to say.

"She tried to stop it before she even saw me." He said in realization.

"Yes she did." Jamie said. It was quiet.

"Huh. I feel like an ass." He admitted.

"That's not my intention. I just wanted to show you the other side of one of my officers story." Jamie defended.

"I owe her an apology. And you, I'm sorry I caused such a problem." Joe said.

"It happens. As for Casey, I gotta talk to him obviously and figure out my next move with that." Jamie said.

"Yeah, he needs to go back to training." Joe said half serious and half laughing.

"I know. He's a bull in a china cabinet, I don't like him riding with Eddie or any officers really." Jamie sighed thinking about the predicament he was in.

"Yeah I don't blame you." Joe said.

"Yeah. Well.. that's all I wanted to talk to you about." Jamie said hinting that he could leave.

"Alright well sorry again man, it doesn't help I've been stressed with work and home life, it's just a lot right now." Joe said getting ready to leave.

"I get it. We've all been there. Everything okay with you and Cassidy?" Jamie asked curiously.

"Yeah we're fine..." he said kind of twirling around the idea. Jamie got up and shut the door.

"What's going on?" He asked sitting back down looking at him, he wasn't dumb and could tell there was something.

"Huh. She's great man, like she makes me so happy but ever since we got engaged it's been non stop wedding planning and decisions. Like I'm glad she's excited but I thought we could just enjoy this stage first." Joe expressed.

"Ah. Yeah I mean girls get excited about this kinda thing, it's a day most have dreamt about. I know it's stressful, it's a lot of planning. Maybe sit down and talk to her about it. Nail down the big stuff together and let her decide on the little stuff if it's not a big deal to you." Jamie told him.

"Uh yeah like I don't care what color the flowers are, what kind, if we use real or disposable silverware." Joe said, Jamie laughed.

"Yeah so just tell her that, she'll be happy she can just do what she wants then and not need permission." Jamie said.

"You think?" Joe asked, and Jamie shrugged.

"I mean I don't know her that well but I'm sure she'd be happy to just get everything planned without having to check in with you especially if you don't care. Talk to her." Jamie said.

"Your right. I should just let her go to town and then she can let me know what the plans are." Joe said and laughed.

"There ya go, then everyone's happy." Jamie said, Joe nodded and got up.

"Alright we'll thanks for calling me down here. Again I'm sorry about the other day, I'll have to talk to Eddie sometime and apologize." Joe said.

"She's appreciate that." Jamie said and then they both got back to work.
——

Eddie got to work an hour later, she was on the phone as she headed to the locker room to get changed.

"Janko" Jamie called out when she saw her walk by. She held up a finger for him to wait as she stood in the doorway, concentrating on the phone.

"Thanks for calling, let me know if it gets worse...yup, okay, bye." She hung up and put it in her bag, she seemed disheveled.

"Hey, everything okay? What was that about?" Jamie asked curious. Eddie came in the room and sat down.

"Huh, I guess after I left Ryan woke up with a crusted eye, it's probably pink eye so I have to call and get it looked at, get drops...which will be so fun to do." She was out of breath.

"Well I'm done before you, I can take him." Jamie offered.

"Your gonna take both kids to a doctors appointment..." Eddie asked surprised, he smirked knowing he's never done that.

"...sure..." he said with little confidence, Eddie cocked her head at him.

"Eddie I can do it! Let me try it." Jamie pleaded.

"Okay...I'll make the appointment and let you know what time. I gotta go I'm gonna be late for roll call." She said wanting to hurry off.

"Hey, you get enough sleep last night? You seem really tired." Jamie said stopping her.

"I don't know." She said closing her eyes, she was exhausted.

"Well I talked to Joe this morning. If that's what's keeping you up at night." Jamie told her.

"You did!?" She asked with wide eyes.

"Yup. Showed him the footage, he feels bad, he wants to apologize to you." He told her. Eddie sighed in relief, she felt the weight lift off her shoulders. Jamie got up and got close to her.

"It's all good, now get to roll call, I love you." He said looking to see if anyone was watching, kissed her and smacked her butt as she walked away. She blushed looking back at him and shook her head laughing.
———
Jamie had just finished roll call and was going to be riding with Casey today for the first time.

"Hey sarge...can I talk to you a minute?" Eddie asked as the room grew empty. Rachel went to wait in the car for her.

"Sure. Give us a minute?" Jamie asked Casey, he listened and went to the hall.

"What's up?" He asked her.

"When you talked to Joe did he mention when he planned on talking to me?" She wondered.

"No, why?" He asked.

"Just curious, I wish it wouldn't be at Sunday dinner but." Eddie shrugged off.

"Yeah, well he'll find a time. Don't be too mad at him, he said he's been stressed lately with the whole wedding thing and blames some of it on that." Jamie told her.

"Wedding planning? They just got engaged." Eddie said confused.

"Yeah we'll I guess Cassidy is ready to roll with it. I gave him advice don't worry." Jamie shook it off.

"You? You gave him advice? I would like to hear what advice you had." Eddie said smirking and crossing her arms.

"Janko we can talk later, I gotta get to work and so do you." Jamie said stopping the conversation.

"Yeah yeah, have fun with that one." She said nodding at Casey and then left. He took a breath and headed out the other door to start his first day mentoring someone who's been on the job long enough to know the ropes...so he thought this would be fun. He said a prayer to himself before he let him get behind the wheel and drive him.