Unnecessary Visitor

Sunday March 20th 2022

"Alright. Let's clear the table, I'll go get it." Jamie got up from the dinner table and said.

"Huh I'm so excited." Eddie said cleaning up Alaina's mess beside her.

"What do you think it is?" Erin asked.

"I feel like it's a girl but yet I felt a little different with Lainey." Eddie told her.

"Could be a boy then." Frank said smiling.

"Yeah, we'd like a boy, one of each you know?" Eddie said.

"Dada" Alaina said and pointed to Jamie in the kitchen.

"Yeah, hi sweetie." He said and carefully set the little cake down infront of her.

"Oooo Lainey look at that!" Erin said.

"Ma." She said looking at it.

"Yeah...go ahead Lainey...get it!" Eddie said. Jamie sat down beside Eddie and watched Alaina put her little finger in the icing. Everyone laughed when she just ate that.

"Ugh c'mon sweetie, get in there!" Eddie said hardly being able to contain her excitement.

"Are we all eating this cake?" Danny asked, it was a very small cake.

"No, we got a bigger one out there yet. This is just the announcement cake." Jamie said clarifying.

"Okay good." Danny replied. All of a sudden Alaina grabbed a good chunk of the cake and held it there, not picking it up. She looked at Eddie scared she was going to get in trouble I think.

"Good job!" Eddie said.

"Ha she's like...is this okay mom?..." Jamie said laughing. Alaina then turned and looked at Jamie to see his reaction.

"Eat it honey, put it in your mouth so we can see." He told her. She looked around at everyone at the table and started crying.

"Aw!" Eddie made a sad face and laughed with everyone. Alaina lifted her arms up at Jamie to pick her up.

"Ah! It's blue! It's a boy!" Eddie said so excited pointing to the cake where her hand was. She jumped up and gave Jamie a hug. Everyone clapped and carried on. Alaina cried more, everyone was scaring her.

"Ha...Aw come here. You're okay!" Jamie pulled her out of the high chair. She laid her head on Jamie's shoulder shy.

"Maybe she wanted a sister." Sean said making everyone laugh.

"Lainey, you're having a brother sweetie...!" Eddie rubbed her back and tried to see her face hidden in Jamie's shirt. She was so upset, Jamie ignored the crying in his ear and kissed Eddie quickly with a smile.

"Well Congratulations." Frank said. Jamie pulled Alaina off of him and let her sit in the chair with him. Eddie went to get the big cake for everyone to eat.

"Look Lainey, you want some cake?" Jamie asked her showing it to her.

"Just don't give her a lot, she's not really supposed to have any until she's 1." Eddie said and set the bigger cake down on the table.

"I know." Jamie said and fed her a little.

"Eh couple more weeks, it ain't gonna hurt." Pop said.

"I know that's kinda what I say." Eddie said and sat down.

*Knock knock*

"Who's that?" Pop looked at Frank and wondered.

"I don't know." He said confused as well.

"I'll get it." Joe offered and left the table.

"I can't believe it's a boy!" Eddie said still so excited.

"You have a name?" Pop wondered.

"We do but I think we'll save that as a surprise." Eddie said.

"Uh so It's a girl... Sydney? Said she knows all of you?" Joe said coming back to the room and standing in the doorway. Erin, Jamie and Eddie looked at Joe in surprise at what he had said.

"Sydney?" Pop questioned and looked at Frank.

"Your Sydney?" Danny pointed at Jamie.

"Not my Sydney.." Jamie defended and got up.

"What..." Erin followed.

"Woah. Wait. You go talk to her. See what she wants." Eddie said getting defensive and pointing to Frank.

"Huh. You kids...what's going on?" Frank asked confused and made his way to the door.

"Well explain after. Just...you know nothing." Jamie said.

"Well I know, I don't know anything." He shook his head and opened the door.

"What the hell.." Jamie said in a whisper to Eddie and Erin. They stood in the room right near the front door to listen.

"What's going on?" Danny came in and asked joining in with the family whispering.

"Sh!" Erin told him and Frank opened the door.

"Hello." He said with his no teeth smile.

"Hi, Frank. Good to see you again! Listen is Jamie here? I figured he'd be here, it's Sunday." She said.

"Uhm. He is. What's this about?" He questioned.

"I just need to see him." She said. Frank looked over at everyone basically hiding like kids listening. Jamie handed Alaina off and made his way over, he opened the door more so he could see her.

"What?" He asked.

"Jamie! Hi!" She lit up and said.

"I got it dad." Jamie said and Frank excused himself.

"Can you just get to the point. You know how important family dinner is." Jamie told her.

"Yeah sorry, so I know you have a family now but, this past year I got divorced from my husband of 4 years who I met in London. I prayed and prayed for god to lead me to my soulmate and here I am working in the same office as Erin, back in New York." She said.

"So?" Jamie said.

"So what are the odds? I mean you and I were engaged!" She reminded him.

"Yeah and you broke it off. Now I've found my soulmate." He said.

"I'm just saying god brought me to New York to find my soulmate..." she stated.

"Alright well start getting out and meetin' people cause standing here isn't getting you anywhere." Jamie said and shut the door on her. He felt like an ass a little but then looked at everyone standing off in the other room listening. He didn't know what anyone was thinking, he couldn't even look at Eddie. He was nervous for her reaction.

"Wow." Danny said shocked. It was quiet and then all of a sudden Eddie started laughing.

"I mean...that's one way to get rid of someone." Frank said and everyone joined in the laughter. Jamie gave Eddie a side hug as they all headed back to the table.

"I love you." He told her quietly.

"I cannot believe Jamie Reagan just did that!" Eddie couldn't stop laughing.

"Wait. You were engaged?" Joe asked surprised. Everyone laughed again and started eating the cake.

"Huh...here we go." Jamie said getting ready to explain.