One on One

Sunday December 13th 2022

Eddie was busy browning beef to make a lasagna for family dinner later today.

"Momma, bup!" Alaina was at Eddies legs with her arms up, whining to be held.

"Lainey...mommy can't hold you right now. Go play, this is hot." She told her.

"Bup!" She said again this time standing on her tip toes grabbing the bottom of Eddies shirt and pulling.

"Honey no. Where's daddy? Go get daddy." She told her chopping the meat up in the pan as it sizzled. Alaina started crying and pulling harder at Eddie.

"Jamie...?!" Eddie yelled over the crying for his help so she didn't burn the meat.

"Yeah?" He emerged from the laundry room.

"Can you take her please, she wants me to hold her but I'm kinda busy." Eddie said irritated.

"Yeah sorry I was folding that laundry. C'mon Lain...let's go play." He said using a come here hand motion. She freaked out and tried to get in between Eddies legs to get away from him.

"Your gonna just have to pick her up." Eddie said frustrated at the lack of space and free time she had right now.

"Alaina Grace c'mon. Done." Jamie scooped her up and carried the kicking and screaming toddler to the living room.

"Hey, stop...mommy's busy...and you need to be quiet, Ryan's sleeping...." he told her and held his finger up to his lips "shh" he told her. She stopped, observed and did it back.

"Good job!" Jamie told her. He handed her the baby doll on the couch and then went to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

"Smells good babe." He told Eddie slaving away over the stove.

"Thanksss." She said.

"Need help with anything?" He asked.

"Honestly just keep her out of my area, that's it." She told him.

"Good deal." Jamie said and went back to keep Alaina occupied.

An hour later Ryan was crying in his crib, Eddie was getting ready for Sunday dinner and Jamie was getting Alaina dressed.

"Hi Ry...! Did you sleep good?" Eddie said soft and sweetly when she entered the nursery. She brushed her hand over his hair and smiled at him.

"Are you hungryyy?" She asked, he stared at her mouth when she talked. He knew his moms voice it was so magical. She picked him up and laid him down to get changed first.

"Eddie the timers going off what do you want me to do?" Jamie shouted from the kitchen.

"Umm take it out and turn it off if it looks done." She yelled back undoing Ryan's diaper.

"How do I know if it's done?" He asked back. Eddie laughed to herself, Alaina came in the nursery and went right to over to the rocking chair, trying to get in it.

"If the cheese is all melted?" She told him.

"Hey you, monkey. Ah uh, get down...you are going to fall!" Eddie said panicked that she hoisted herself up there and smiled.

"Ah!" Eddie screamed, getting peed on by her 5 month old. She quickly covered him with the new diaper and started laughing because he was smiling.

"What happened?!" Jamie rushed in wondering.

"He peed on me!" Eddie said laughing and showing him her wet shirt.

"Oh haha...Ryan why'd you do that? Huh?" He asked getting closer to his face, rubbing his thumb over his cheek.