Quality time

6 weeks later.

Ryan was 8 weeks old now, Jamie was working like a dog to try and bring home enough money that they could save a little something too. He didn't want them to be strapped. He wanted to live a comfortable life. They went to Sunday dinner and then he headed into work for the night.

Eddie was up on the couch with Ryan at 6am when he got home Monday morning.

"Hey honey. How was your tour?" She asked.

"Good, I'm exhausted as hell though. What times his appointment? Wake me up like an hour before we have to leave." Jamie told her, remembering she wanted him to come along.

"It's at 10..." Eddie said shyly. She could tell Jamie just wanted to go to bed. When she scheduled the appointment he wasn't working all these hours, if she would've known she would've made it later in the day...but then that interferes with Alaina's nap and all.

"Huh okay. Well wake me up in 3 hours then." Jamie said and shut their bedroom door. Eddie got up to go talk to him.

"Jamie." She said and sat on the bed. He didn't even get undressed he was just laying on top of the bed, eyes shut already.

"Hm?" He asked.

"Don't worry about the appointment. Just catch up on sleep, I got it." She said sincerely.

"You sure?" He asked.

"Yeah." She told him. She really was dreading taking both kids by herself but if that meant Jamie could catch up on sleep and have energy to spend quality time with them tonight, she'd do it.

She left him alone and headed back to the couch and continued watching tv while she snuggled Ryan, anxiously waiting for big sister to get up and end Eddies relaxation time.
———
After Ryans appointment Eddie decided to pick up a couple things at the grocery store for dinner tonight beings Jamie would be home.

She got back to the apartment around 12:30. Both kids were hangry. Luckily Jamie would most likely be up from sleeping that he could feed Lainey while she nursed Ryan.

"Knock knock, we're home." Eddie called out. She set the diaper bag and groceries on the table and then laid Ryan on the play mat.

"Nack, nack!" Lainey was following her yelling (wanting a snack).

"I know sweetie. We're gonna eat lunch." She told her while she took off her shoes. Jamie emerged from the bedroom.

"Hey, how was it?" He asked.

"Oh good. Got shots... Where are you going?" She asked taking notice to the different set of clothes he had on.

"Oh well ya see, McNichols called out sick so I said I'd cover her shift." Jamie said. Eddies face went blank.

"For real?" She asked uptight.

"What? It's overtime baby, doesn't get much better than that!" Jamie said energetically walking by her, planting a kiss on her cheek and then getting his coat and shoes on.

"Since when are you all about the money?" Eddie asked.

"What money? I'm not all about money Eddie...? " He said confused.

"Then why'd you offer to work?" She asked.

"...because...it's not gonna hurt, besides they need a sergeant in." He said.

"They need a sergeant in...that doesn't mean it has to be you." She told him.

"Huh, what's this about? Why are you so against this?" He asked getting uptight.

"Because ever since you've picked up more shifts, you've been too busy to spend time with me and the kids. When your not sleeping we are or when you are sleeping, we're up." Eddie said.

"Eddie your the one who doesn't wanna go back to work, but yet I'm still somehow supposed to go to the doctor appointments and help you in the middle of the night, and help out with dinner. And I wanna do that Eddie but someone's gotta bring home a paycheck." Jamie explained.

"I know... but you could at least not volunteer your time." She said.

"We spent the whole evening together yesterday." Jamie told her.

"At your dads! That's not quality, one on one with me, or the kids. Family dinner doesn't count." Eddie said firmly.

"Babe I don't know what you want me to do, I see you before and after every tour, I come home at the end of all of them." Jamie said.

"That means nothing. Do you even know my doctor cleared me to have sex again?" Eddie crossed her arms.

"That's great, you know I've been excited for that." Jamie said with a smirk.

"Well jokes on you, I got cleared two weeks ago but I felt like you haven't been up for it so I just didn't bother saying anything." She told him.

"Huh Eddie I would've made time for that if you would've told me...!" Jamie was getting frustrated.

"Oh so you'll make time for sex but not spending quality time with your kids...!?" She argued back. Jamie shook his head in disbelief and left. Eddie closed her eyes, now hearing the crying from both kids that she just blocked out for the last 3 minutes her and Jamie were arguing. She took a deep breath and then started making lunch quickly for her and Alaina so she could nurse Ryan.
————
Well that was a little rocky. Seems like Jamie's just trying to make ends meet without making Eddie feel like staying home is not going to be financially okay for them. As much as she wants to stay home I think she's going to have to rethink it. That way they can be comfortable financially and spend time all together as a family. Leave your reviews!