Part 73

"This... This is precisely why I despise your in-laws and their family!! Whatever has happened, it's all their fault!" Rohan hissed at Shruthi.

"Kunal didn't do anything" Shruthi pouted, snuggling into Kunal's arms.

"That's exactly the problem! He didn't do anything" Rohan muttered darkly, glaring at the tall lean man sitting beside Shruthi, with his arms wrapped around her, though he was gazing into oblivion.

He then turned to look at Nikhil as he sat beside Dharam at the bar, a glass of whiskey in both their hands. Whilst Nikhil was listening to Dharam silently, the latter was talking with a rueful smile on his lips, though his eyes looked broken and lost.

A part of him felt guilty - that it was because of him that Dharam was suffering today - had he not brought the truth into light that Gayathri was behind all this, Dharam would still have been living in his bubble that his wife loves him.

But Abhi's happiness was at stake here, along with Shruthi's life. And Rohan couldn't simply let two of his best friends suffer!

He had long made peace with the fact that Gayathri didn't love him. But gazing at Dharam, he sighed - that poor man had been living in his own dreamland for so long... And what a betrayal!

But the hair on Rohan's back stood as he recalled that Gayathri had even hired assassins to have Kunal and Shruthi murdered! How could someone stoop so low?

"I still can't believe she hired an assassin!" Rohan gulped the bile rising up his throat - and to now know that he had been in love with such a selfish woman?

"To be honest, I still can't believe that Anand had faith in her!! With him and his cunning-ness, I seriously thought that he had every intention to hurt Naina for his own reasons... Never knew that di is the reason for everything!" Shruthi shook her head.

"Oh he is very cunning... Didn't I tell you? He had hired a few bodyguards who were to tail him once he got Naina... and they were to murder her at the first opportunity they get! He actually never trusted Gayathri and her promises... The deal between them was that Gayathri will hand him 15% of the total property and other inheritance... And he never trusted her to keep her promise... " Rohan sighed.

They were all at Rohan's penthouse, brooding and trying to get over the shock of the events of the day. The police were interrogating Gayathri, Anand and the assassins Gayathri had hired to kill Kunal and Shruthi, and Abhi was there at the police station, making sure that Gayathri and Anand wouldn't get a bail.

And yet again as Rohan peeked to Dharam, he felt his blood boil in hatred for the woman he once dearly loved.

"I think he's suffered the maximum loss amongst all of us" Kunal sighed, as he too watched Dharam stare into oblivion.

"But I still can't believe he didn't have a clue!" Shruthi whispered, as she too stared at Dharam with pity.

"Pyaar andha hota hai" Rohan smiled sadly.

{translation - love is blind}

"But so much? For over 5 years she's been lying to him... And he didn't know?" Shruthi scoffed.

"Your friend Naina too had been lying to Abhi for around a year, and she'd have continued to do so forever if Anand hadn't returned to her life..." Rohan hissed, glaring at Shruthi.

"Don't compare Naina to that wench! I agree that Naina didn't do any justice to Abhi by hiding the truth from such a long time, but as they say, better late than never!" Shruthi hissed back.

"Abhi is our friend Shruthi! For God's sake what Naina did to him isn't right either!!" Rohan glared.

"Both Naina and Abhi are my friends Rohan!!! Naina hid the truth for a while, yes. But she would never have done all that to Abhi! Don't compare Naina to that woman who didn't value her husband or her loved ones! Naina might have had taken advantage of Abhi's feelings but she had also started to woo him back!!" Shruthi hissed.