Part 33

***Abhimanyu's P. O. V***

"You are very cute Abhi... and I'm really glad you love me.... I... I won't make any promises but I'll try... to love you back... like how you love me" she said, a coy smile playing on her lips.

"What?" I gasped, my eyes going wide in shock - did she just say what I heard?!

"I'm not making any promises... But I'll try... To make it work... And keep an open heart... And try... To reciprocate your love... I will try..." Naina whispered again, smiling a little at probably the look of incredulity on my face.

"Try?" I croaked, to which she sighed.

"I... Yes... Try... I don't know if I can or not, but the least that I can do is try" she said, smiling a little.

"Love happens Naina... There's nothing to try about it... If you try then it's called force... Not love" I spat angrily, before dashing to the bathroom.

Leaning against the bathroom door, I gazed straight ahead, gazing into oblivion, while my mind replayed Naina's words.

I couldn't help but chuckle bitterly at the irony of life - wasn't this how Priya my secretary wanted me to love her? Ah the whole cycle of karma!! Karma the bitch... life the bitch!

They say money can buy you anything... That money equals happiness. But can money buy me my Naina's love?

I'd honestly be happier as a poor man who gets Naina's love, than the rich man I am - who doesn't get Naina's love!

Why is it all so complicated? I'd actually give anything and everything up... Just to have her love me back.

And why, for the love of God, did she say she'll try?!

Is it like some dish, or some clothes that she'll try?!

I didn't even know when tears had started pooling in my eyes, but I jolted to reality at the soft knock on the bathroom door.

"Abhi?" I heard her melodious voice, the feel of my name on her lips bringing a smile instantly to my face.

Taking deep calming breaths, I wiped the tears away and turned, to open the door and face her.

I'll be keeping my calm now, and I won't say anything. I won't let my words hurt her... She had told her case the day {or rather, the night} we'd gotten married... The only happy thing here is that at least she's not lied to me!

Okay she may not believe in love but I'll get her to fall for me, if that's the last thing I do!

"I'm sorry" she whispered, fidgeting with her fingers, as soon as her gaze clashed mine once I'd opened the door.

"What for?" I asked, shoveling my hands deep into my pocket and looking down at her.

"My words might have had come off as... Blunt and... Insensitive... but I was telling the truth Abhi... I... I don't want to give some sort of a false hope which I will never be able to fulfill" she said, looking rather glum.

"Right" I said, trying hard not to just storm out of the place again, or say something that I might regret later.

But..

"If I am not able to love you back then you can find someone else.. I have no objections" she said, piercing my heart with her words that were sharper than the sharpest dagger.

"You think love is some sort of a game?! Or a bargain? Like so you can't give it to me, so I'll harvest the same love on some other girl?! Or even more, I'll flush down all that love and grow a fresh crop of love for some other woman? Is that how you think love works? I'm sorry if I've hurt you Naina... but I don't need your sympathy, or you trying  to love me.... I am definitely not as shallow as you have imagined me to be" I said bitterly, before storming out of the room, tears binding my vision.