Chapter 2

I stood beside a young man in blue jean trouser and white shirt, waiting for the traffic light to turn red.

I needed money urgently and going to my uncle was not an option. My stomach rumbled, a reminder I needed breakfast.

I crossed the motorway and took my left, down the busy pavement, I walked straight, sighting a man in an expensive grey suit, I pushed closer and ran into him, this made him let go of his suitcase.

I picked up the case and handed it over to him "I'm so sorry."

"Watch where you going lady," He hissed and walked past me disappearing into the crowd.

I moved further and turned into a lonely alley between two stores. I took off my leather jacket, and let loose my long black hair.

I placed my jacket in my bag, took out the gold wristwatch I stole from the man out of my bra and also placed it in my bag. I had breakfast, lunch, and probably dinner ready.

***

I picked my bag off its hanger and walked out of the flat as the Mexican spirit bell rang behind me.

Being a Mexican-American had its burden on me. Mum was religious in all aspects, following the Catholic doctrines and dad, God rest his soul accepted her religious life for peace and love.

I waved a taxi and got in, my plans still not certain, but money was my major concern for the night.

I took out the list of expensive restaurant I had visited before, swiped through the names and made my choice. I had enough fare to visit just one restaurant, so the pick was a hard one.

The driver pulled up in front of Dreams, an exclusive restaurant that had billionaire's dropping in.

I walked to the entrance but was stopped by security, in a blue uniform with a face cap on. He stood blocking the entrance with folded hands and muscled body that fitted his frown.

"Your invite ma'am."

"What do I need an invite for?"

"Only invites are allowed into the restaurant tonight."

"C'mon, let me in," I pleaded, giving him the puppy eyes.

He shook his head with his frown still folding his face.

I huffed and turned, it was a failed mission, if my puppy eyes couldn't help the matter then it was over. I walked down the street heading to the bar where my best friend worked as a bartender.

I walked into Urban, walked past already plastered men and sat on the bartender stool.

"And she decided to check on me today."

"I didn't."

"You hardly check up on your friends," Joshua said picking a bottle of whiskey from the shelf.

"I have few friends."

He poured the whiskey in a glass and passed it to the man seated next to me.

"You have me Anna."

I smiled, if those words were from someone else, I would be damn to believe, but from Joshua, I knew he meant it.

"So what brought you to Urban?"

"I had business down the road."

He sighed. "Anna you need to stop already."

"She's in the hospital."

"Your mum?"

I nodded. "I have to work."

"What are your plans? we had a deal no slashing here."

"I know, and only mum gets to call it slashing," I said with a roll of my eyes.

"You need to get a real job, I can talk to Michael."

I turned, my back now facing him. "We've gone through that already, you know what Michael wants and I need to pay my rents or, the street here we come!"

"What do you have saved up?"

"Zero pounds."

"That's disastrous," He muttered.

"I know."

"Here." I turned and took the shot of gin, drowning it in one gulp.

He smiled. "Are you not too young to consume such amount of liquor."

"I'm 21 Joshua, and I needed that drink."

"My poor Anna."

I chuckled and turned. "Don't you dare."

I watched people strolled in, and out of the bar, either drunk or assisting a drunk mate.

"No slashing here," Joshua whispered.

I nodded, as a diamond on the hands of a young man in a black button-down shirt, and black trouser caught my attention. I watched him walked out the door with an older man trailing beside him.

I stood up from the stool. "I'm heading home."

"Really? You needn't hurry Anna."

"I need to rest, promise to call tomorrow."

"I'm sure you won't but ok," he said.

I headed out the door in haste and brushed past the young man.

I walked down the street without apologizing, the number one rule of the game was; never look back. I moved further down the pavement and waved down a taxi.

****

Authors note.

Hey guys... I really need to know what your thoughts are about this book.

🏵️Meaning of Spanish words.🏵️

🏵️Mi Niña--My child.