𝟜𝟚 • 𝕆𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣 ℍ𝕒𝕝𝕗

This chapter is a tad bit long, sorry. There wasn't really a good spot to end it.

Your POV

"Mommy?" Sam shot up.
"Maria." I said. Levi stood and helped me up.

I picked up Jonathan and carried him on my side. Sam, Levi, and Clayton followed alongside me. We didn't want to overload her with everyone. Outside of Maria's room stood the doctor, the doctor informed us that Maria has been making a great recovery. She was still on bed rest but her condition had improved.

I knocked on the door before gently opening it. I told Sam to not be rough with her. He nodded.

"Hi, Maria..." I cooed.
She looked over to me and smiled. Her long dark hair flowed down her back, her green eyes were wide and well. I missed seeing her face so much. Sam rushes over to her and carefully got on her bed with her.

"Mommy, I was so scared. I'm so sorry I wasn't strong enough." Sam said. Maria hugged her eldest son and kissed the top of his head.

"You are the strongest. Thank you for fighting for me, baby." Maria said to Sam. I handed Jonathan over to his mother. She showered her boys with kisses and told them how much she missed them.

She looked up to the two of us. I took a seat on the chair next to her bed.

"I'm glad you're okay." Maria said to me.

"Shut up. Don't you ever try that again or I'll stab you myself." I held her hand. "I'm so glad you're okay too." I said with a relieved smile.

"How are you feeling, Maria?" Levi asked. He stood behind me.

"I'm alright. It's good to see you're back safely." Maria replied. "How did the mission go?"

"You shouldn't worry about that right now. It was recorded as a victory." Levi informed her.

"That's a relief. Erwin must thinking of his next step after everything." Maria said. "He's such a dreamer without even realizing it. How is he doing? Did he come as well? Or did he have to stay behind?"

Clayton and I both looked each other then Levi then at Maria.

"Uh, Sam let's get your new toy to show Mommy." Clayton said. He picked up Jonathan. Sam followed behind Clayton. "It's nice to see you, Maria." Clayton said before exiting.

Levi looked directly at Maria. I held both of her hands.

"Erwin didn't make it. You have all of his regards." Levi said, obviously this wasn't something he'd like to tell her but she had to know.

"I see." Maria exhaled. She laid back down.

"I'm sorry." Levi said.
"There's no need to be. It was always a possibility. I knew that... but it doesn't make it hurt any less... I really loved him." She was really holding herself together.

"I know, I know," I said to her.

"He was the first to ever make me feel like a respectable woman. He didn't care that I had sons or my former life as a prostitute." She explained. I held her gently.

Almost everyone had lost their second half: Hanji and Moblit, Erwin and Maria, Clayton and Ryan. That wasn't fair to them. I wished they could all have lived their lives together.

"Maria," Levi said, "Erwin didn't disclose much about the two of you, but that man never seemed to stop mentioning you. His exterior always softened whenever he said or heard your name. On the mission, on our talk before he died, the reason he was able to give up on his dream and die was knowing that you and your sons were safe in the walls. He loved you more than anything."