SIXTY SIX: Touchy Subjects

Dorm life was almost physically painful.

Mirio and Nejire, along with Amajiki, stuck close by me, which had never been a problem in the past. Nowadays, however, I wished that they would just leave me alone. The only thing that even remotely lifted my spirits was mention of Eri. She lived on campus, according to Mirio, who often looked after her, and I hoped to muster the courage to visit her before I had to leave again.

The days were long, and what made matters worse was my return to Yuuei had been staggered, meaning I barely had a class a day. It took almost a week for Hawks to call on me, and it had been almost unbearable. When he finally made contact, he suggested we go out for lunch, and I humoured him. I had to make him think I was oblivious.

"So, you like Kentucky Fried? Pizza, perhaps? Or are you one of those fancy teacake kinda girls?" We strolled along the sidewalk, and I had already become rather uncomfortable with all the fangirls stopping to snap pics of him.
"I'm easy. I'll eat pretty much anything bad for me." I replied, rolling the lint in my pockets around between my fingers.

"Oh, before I forget! Your lover boy wanted me to tell you that he misses your beautiful face, and that he can't wait to smother you with hugs and kisses when you get home!" The number two beamed down at me, and I scrunched my nose, creating a slightly larger distance between us.
"No he didn't." Having been caught out, he deflated a little, wings drooping along with his shoulders.

"Ya got me. He actually just told me to go do unspeakably lewd things to myself when I asked if he wanted me to relay anything to you. You really picked a mean one, kiddo." He blew a raspberry and sighed, but quickly recovered, grabbing my arm and yanking me into a small takeaway store.

The scent of old grease and batter made me kind of nauseous, but I didn't complain, following Hawks' direction and sitting at a booth in the far corner. In no time, he had returned with a paper bag, filled with enough fried chicken to recreate an entire, well, him.
"So, about my wings..." I started, accepting the large soda and drumstick he handed to me.

"Yeah, actually, I made some arrangements with my buddy! His agency has this huge training area not too far from here, and he said that you and my other little underling can come do some training with his throuple!" How Hawks became a hero with such a strange mind, I'd never know, but that wasn't the problem.
"Wait, I thought it'd be one on one training."

Waving me off like it was no big deal, Hawks thankfully waited until he was finished chewing and swallowing before giving me a response.
"Look, I know it's supposed to be all hush hush puppy, but I need to keep my rep up too. You need to get close to heroes, and Endeavor is the number one! I'm doing you a favour."

Endeavor...I have a feeling you're setting me up for failure...

After our first meeting, Hawks left me hanging for a further three days, and it was only when Tokoyami came searching for me that I knew the game was on. He seemed like a decent guy, once you got past the edgy, tortured poet vibes, and I couldn't deny that his quirk was both incredible and adorable.

Endeavor's training facility, however, was just straight up incredible. The ceilings were so tall, Twice could have cloned Gigantomachia five times and he wouldn't have managed to reach the glass.
"Endeavor! How's it going?!" Hawks lit up when the flaming pro approached us, and I felt myself shrink down. I had only ever really encountered him once, after Dabi had destroyed the park, and he made me beyond nervous.
"Hawks. Students." He nodded to each of us in turn, and when his azure eyes met mine, my skin prickled.

The colour blue just reminds me of Dabi...

"I need to talk to you about something, regarding a missing persons report. Your interns can use the space as they please until we're ready." As the hulking man spoke, he glanced to me again, and I quickly threw my (E/C) eyes to the ground. Was it guilt, or just plain fear?
"(L/N), after you. My fellow classmates are just over there." Tokoyami motioned to the far side of the arena, where three boys were stretching and talking amongst themselves.