FORTY EIGHT: Loyalty

Ugh, my head...

I didn't want to open my eyes, especially after hearing the droning buzz of machinery around me, but I also wasn't fond of not knowing who the cold hand holding mine belonged to.

The light wasn't as harsh as I expected when my lids cracked open, but I quickly decided I didn't like wherever I was due to the harsh scent of chemicals wafting around.
"Where the hell..?" I sat up slowly, taking note of each ache and pain in my body. Glancing to my side, I had to do a double take when I spotted the hand in mine. The lone, body-less hand.

Master...Tomura..?

Calling the man as such made me feel even grosser, yet at the same time I relished the name. As I continued to scan my surroundings, I cradled Father to my chest, starting to feel even more uneasy.
"Ah! You're finally awake!" I felt the urge to bare my teeth when that voice cried out, but I quickly relaxed once a familiar brunet sprinted to my bedside, followed by Mr. Compress.

"Hisoka...where the fuck are we?" Both males looked kind of startled at my casual cussing, but neither said anything about it.
"We aren't too sure ourselves, exactly, but Dr. Ujiko allowed us to remain here alongside you until you recovered from your ailments." Compress explained, using his left hand to pick up a glass of water and bring it over to me.

Wait a freaking minute...

Eyes narrowed, I pointed to his limb, taking in its metallic beauty.
"Arm." It was all I could manage, and he laughed softly, holding out the glass.
"Yes, my dear. Giran had supplied me with this prosthetic shortly after the incident, but it never worked properly. Ujiko was kind enough to repair it for me." I took the water, but I placed it on the tiny bedside table, a second, canine-like pair of ears appearing atop my head so I could take in each and every sound.

"What about m...Tomura? Dabi? The others?" I asked, concern lacing my voice, and Mustard sat himself up on the edge of the bed.
"Remember that huge bastard who was throwing hands with us when you got back? Boss apparently has to prove to him that he deserves his loyalty. It's like some twisted manga plot." He brushed his hair out of his face, and I made a mental note in my mixed up head to give him a haircut next time I had the chance.

"That he deserves his loyalty..?" I repeated slowly, feeling my fists ball atop the sheet. "Are they kidding?! He deserves it more than anyone!" Mustard held his hands up to try and calm me down, nervously glancing over to our companion.
"Hey...don't get so worked up, you're still not a hundred percent..." He tried to soothe, voice uncertain. "...and since when do you view Shigs like that..?"

Yeah, since when..?

I was still tense, but I exhaled, attempting to keep my cool.
"My bad...I still feel like shit..." I muttered, casting my gaze to my knees.
"You'll continue to feel as such for another day or so, I'm afraid." The arrival of a new voice sent my senses into a flurry, and before my mind even registered the burning ache of my body, I was on my hands and knees above the sheets, having shoved Mustard behind me and nearly through the headboard.

Across the room, in a dark, shadowy corner, sat a figure. My instincts told me that this person was no good, and I couldn't stop myself from snarling like some kind of rabid animal.
"(Y/N), love, that's just Dr. Ujiko...No need to go on the offensive..." Mr. Compress explained calmly, his organic hand coming to rest on top of my head, between my flattened ears.

"I assure you, I would have let you die on my floor if I ever intended on harming any of you." Ujiko chuckled, scooting a little closer on his chair, though I still couldn't make out his features. I crept back a bit, making sure that part of Mustard was beneath my own body. I just felt like I had to keep him covered to protect him, and I didn't fight that.