FIFTY FIVE: Starve a Fever

*TWO DAYS LATER*

"...Oh, and thin mints. I'd literally kill a whole entire orphan for thin mints..." Mustard chuckled, patting my hand as it rested against his chest, toying with the only remaining golden button on his uniform.
"As opposed to half an orphan..?" I snickered, trailing off into a sharp cough.

It was just like me to get sick after being out in the rain. It had happened a lot when I was a child, it had happened the day after I had first met Dabi, and it had happened this time, too. The weather was still temperamental, rain spitting down from the heavens and drumming steadily against our shitty, torn shelter, which was merely a bunch of leaves stitched together with vine, and the shredded remains of Mr. Compress' trench coat.

I could hear the rest of our motley crew engaging Gigantomachia in the distance, and I felt useless. From the moment the beast had woken up, it had just been myself and Mustard, as I had already begun showing signs of illness. How somebody could go so long without a break was beyond me.

"Think you can stomach something now? You really should eat, (N/N)." The boy shifted, turning his head and gazing at me through the red lenses of his mask, which I had insisted he keep on, just in case I was contagious.
"Feed a cold, starve a fever, Hiso..." I reminded him, butting my head weakly into his shoulder. It was a blessing that my nose hadn't become a waterfall of snot, but everything else had hit me like a bus. Burning throat, aching body, and apparently a fever, though all I could feel was the icy cold chill around us.

"Maybe we could call the doctor and get you some medicine once the others get back..?" He thought out loud, using his wrist; exposed by a large tear in his sleeve, to feel my forehead. "You're burning up..." The sweet young thing had been fussing over me nonstop, and I was honestly glad I had him with me. Of course, I missed Dabi and Shigaraki terribly, but having my not-son by my side made me able to cope.

Shaking my head, I closed my eyes, squishing closer against his side and willing myself not to cough like I desperately needed to.
"He's not on our side until we beat the brute...I'll be fine..." I said surely, using my hand to press down against his chest a little. "You're gaining muscle fast...Maybe you'll finally be able to beat one of the boys in an arm wrestle..."

"Hah, maybe..." Mustard replied, though he didn't sound all that amused. "Hey, can I say something? You may not like it..." Humming, I nodded slowly, letting him know he had my attention. "I think you should stop using your quirk for a while. I mean, I know you want to help us, but you've gotten...kinda mean..? N..not like, mean to us! You're always super great to me! It's just...you're different now, and some of us miss the old you..."

I know...I do too...but I was so annoying...and I just can't help this...

I went to speak, but a catch in my throat sent me into a coughing fit, my body tensing and curling in on itself as Mustard sat up in a hurry, reaching over to rub my back.
"You gotta stop talking...We can talk about this all later, okay? I just want you to get well again..." He said sadly, pulling his feet in a little, as they had been outstretched and being drenched by the rain. He really was growing up fast.
"O..okay..." I wheezed out, blinking away the tears that had been brought on by my fit.

Instead of laying back down, Mustard popped the lone button of his gakuren, shrugging it off and draping it over me like a blanket, leaving him in only his long-sleeved undershirt.
"They shouldn't be too much longer. Just hang tight, okay? Dabi will hopefully scare the sick away..." Lazily, I reached out and slipped my hand into his, squeezing weakly.
"I love you, little bro...Thanks for taking care of me..."

The boy didn't say anything for a few moments, but soon his hand tightened around mine, and his other moved across to sandwich it.
"I love you too, sis...Is there anything I can do to help you feel better? Water or something?" My brain was hazy, and I was trying to think of something that would cheer me up.
"Could you sing me something? Music always cheers me up..."