Chapter thirty-eight and a half

Start from the beginning

"I want everybody there, but I don't care for it to be fancy. I mean, as long as the two of us are there, and we're happy with it, that should be enough, right?" I nodded and smiled but kept my mouth shut as I sensed that he wasn't finished quite yet. "I just don't think we should put all of our savings into one night of celebration. I, uhm, I kind of had other plans with it."

"You did?" I really had no idea where he was going with this.

"You know how we always said we'd want kids, one day?" I nodded, genuinely curious what he was talking about. "Well, I've been thinking about this for a while, and things were speeded up a bit when Niall and Harry told us they'd be adopting Lily-Anne.." He paused for about half a minute before he continued. "Liam, I think we should have a baby."

"Uhm, boo, I hate to break the news to you, but we never used birth control, so I'm afraid that if we were ever capable of getting pregnant, we should be by now." I said, a mock sorry look on my face.

"Be serious Liam. I am. I've been looking into surrogates, and it's not cheap, but we've got enough savings to afford it, I think. If we keep the wedding at a reasonable price."

"Wow. Hold on. You're serious about this? Us having a baby? Soon?" I swallowed air as I finally succeeded to wrap my mind around what he was trying to say. He just nodded, looking a bit anxious at me. "Okay. Explain more."

And so he did, he talked for about an hour, about his search on the internet, about how it would work, what the costs would be, and I had to admit that by the end of his explanation, I had more than warmed up to the idea.

"So, we would have to find someone who wants to carry our baby. Would you want it to be egg donation as well?"

"I don't really care. If we can find a surrogate who's willing to do it with her own, I think that would be better. Avoids over-medicalised conception, I guess." I nodded and hummed in reply.

"I agree. So, what would be next?"

"Finding a surrogate. Though I might have done some research on that bit as well." he said softly, biting his lip.

I chuckled and ruffled his hair. "You seem extremely eager to become a dad boo."

"Well, I am, actually. Ever since I've started thinking about it, for real, I mean, not in the joking manner we've been talking about it for ages, I grew more and more fond of the idea of holding a baby that's ours."

I smiled widely and snuggled up close to him, my head resting in the crook of his neck as his arm wrapped around my back. My mouth was right next to his ear as I whispered my last reply. "You'd make a terrific dad boo. Let's take a closer look at this in the morning, kay? I'm kinda tired." A yawn interrupted my sentence and made him turn to kiss my lips.

"You want to do this then?" he asked, slight surprise sounding through his voice.

"Sure. But now sleep." I wasn't even awake for his reply.

***

The Friday before  Niall and Harry's wedding, we were sat in a cosy café near Louis' work. It was a school holiday and he had been working the early shift. He was obviously nervous, and if I was honest, so was I, I was just better at concealing it.

"What if she doesn't show up?" he asked, his teeth biting down on his bottom lip as he looked up at me.

"Then we'll look further, but it's ten to four Lou, we're early. She's plenty of time to show."

"I know, I know. I'm just nervous." he answered, fiddling with the menu on the table.

"I know. And I am too. This is an important matter after all." I smiled and grabbed his hand before looking behind me when the bell on the door sounded, indicating that someone had entered. It was a grey haired bearded man, not the one we were waiting for.

We were about to leave, it was quarter past four and we were convinced that she's stood us up when the door opened once again, revealing a woman in her late twenties, early thirties maybe, only a little bit older than we were. Her face was flushed and contrasted cutely with the ginger locks framing it. Her eyes scanned around the café before they fell on us. She rushed over and hesitated a little before she spoke.

"I'm sorry, are you Louis and Liam?" she asked a bit out of breath.

"Uhm, yes, you're Kelly?" I replied and smiled at her relieved sigh.

"Yes! I'm so sorry I'm late. You guys must've thought I stood you up. I was held up at work because my daughter got ill and I had to pick her up from school and drop her at the babysitter's this morning. Had to make up for lost time. I hope you still have time to talk?"

"Sure." Louis said, smiling at her and obviously feeling more relaxed now that she was here. "Did you want anything to drink?"

"A cup of tea would be lovely, thank you. So who's who?"

I chuckled, realising we hadn't introduced ourselves due to the rushed start of our conversation and stuck out my hand for her to shake. "I'm Liam."

"Which obviously makes me Louis." he added and smiled his breathtaking smile. I always imagined a tv-show sparkle when he smiled like that. He called over the waitress and ordered us all another cup of tea before we started our conversation.

We talked for almost three hours and decided to have a spaghetti around six while we rounded up the final agreements.

"Okay, so I'll call you whenever the time is right then." Kelly smiled as she put on her coat.

"Yes." Louis beamed, experiencing difficulty to contain his excitement.

"Good luck on your wedding preparations." she hugged us both and waited until we both had our coats on as well so we could walk out of the café together. "Oh right, I forgot to ask. Not that it really matters, but which one of you will be the biological father?" Louis looked stunned, realising we never even discussed that bit as it always seemed irrelevant as long as we didn't have a surrogate.

I didn't have to think twice though, to me there had never been the slightest doubt about the matter. "Louis." I smiled and grabbed his hand as he looked shocked.

"I will?" he asked.

"Yeah, sure. It was your idea." I winked at him before turning back to Kelly.

"Cool. See you guys soon then, I suppose!" she waved as we stepped out of the café and turned to walk away.

"Liam, hold on. Are you sure about this? It's a pretty huge decision." Louis looked genuinely concerned that I hadn't thought it through.

"I don't care Lou, but I know you do, so you can do your thing. It won't make it any less my kid or it won't change the way I love them." I replied, looking him in the eyes before he launched his body at me and engulfed me in one of his enormous hugs. 

"I love you bambi." he muttered to my neck.

"And I love you. But now we should really go and pick up our suits for  tomorrow at the shop, or Niall will kill us if we don't have them, Come on!" I replied and tugged on his hand so he would come with me. We had to hurry if we wanted to get to the shop before it closed for the night.