Camp

Juliet

She put away her phone for the last time for ten days. Goodbye, Tumblr... Goodbye, fan fiction... Goodbye... Rosey. All so tragic to be away from. Especially the first two. Okay, she'd miss Rosey. A lot. After all, she wrote some of the fan fiction that Juliet read. Maybe there were other reasons too... But camp would be fun, right? With a bunch of strangers... Ha... Fun.

Stepping into line, she saw all of the other people. They were in the older grades, because her mom had signed her up for the session that usually high school kids took. Technically, she wasn't in high school yet. And she'd be bunking with a bunch of strangers, none of whom knew she was gay. What if they found out? Um, hello awkward situations!

There was a group of girls in front of her, singing loudly. They were pretty good, but that only made sense. It was Blue Lake. If they weren't good, they wouldn't be there. Honestly, they were all there because of auditions and scholarships, the talent was intense.

When she got her cabin information, she started to look.

"Oh, hey!" said one of the louder girls from the group. "Looks like you'll be in our cabin! It's in the back, sorry about that. Closest to class, but farthest from the food. I'm Caroline, by the way!"

"Hi?" Juliet replied awkwardly. "I'm Juliet."

"Ha, is it your first year? You look new," Caroline told her.

"Yeah... I am..."

"Everything is pretty cool here, you don't have to be so nervous. Are you a choir major?" she asked. Wow... This girl is so peppy... And really fucking tall, what.

"Yeah. You?"

"Same! We can go to choir auditions together after we choose bunks if you like!" Caroline suggested.

"Alright," Juliet agreed. "But first, we need to, you know, get to our cabin..."

She couldn't help it. On the way to the cabin, she realized the rumors were true. Everyone at camp was damn fine. Okay, the back couldn't be farther back if they tried to make it be. The walk was long, and the food would definitely be forever away.

"Almost there, Juliet," Caroline promised. "Over there, you see those buildings with no one in there?"

"Yeah?"

"Girls aren't allowed over there alone with guys. The gay people here always laugh at that..." Caroline smiled. "There are actually a lot of gay people. Be careful not to fall for one of the guys or some shit because that could get messy."

Juliet laughed, but was also pretty sure that wouldn't be happening. "I'm sure I'll manage to avoid falling for the guys," she promised, and she couldn't have been more sincere about that if she tried.

"And here we are!" Caroline exclaimed, gesturing around at the cabin before them.

Juliet looked at it. It was kind of small... there would be five other people sleeping in there? That would not be roomy. Walking in, she saw the bunk beds lined against the wall. There were only a couple other girls in there at the time, so the beds were mostly available. Juliet took the top bunk of the one farthest from the door.

"Now we go to choir auditions," Caroline told her. "We do an audition with all the other choir people, and then we get placed into a choir. It'll most likely be a lower level, but hey, it's still a ton of fun. Don't feel nervous, it's great, I swear."

"Okay. So, I'm guessing this isn't your first year, then?" Juliet said, realizing that all she was doing was stating the obvious.

"Nope! Second, actually. I consider myself kind of a Blue Lake expert, if we're being honest here," she joked. "You're clearly majoring in choir, but do you have a minor?"