Possessive v. Protective

Rosemary

"What do you think?" Rosemary had already told her plan to Juliet, but she had to run it by Andrea and Sidney before it could be official.

"I don't know, Rose," Sidney said. "Are you sure that would work?"

Andrea was thus far the only one of them that knew about Rosemary's feelings for Juliet, and she had the final say, ultimately.

"Should I type up a report?" she asked.

Rosey shrugged. "No, that's not necessary. Thank you, though."

****

"Happy birthday, darling," Rosemary exclaimed, throwing her arms around her friend. She handed her a gift bag. "Love you."

"Thanks, Rosey," Juliet said, taking the bag. "I love you too. So how do we um, you know...?" Act gay. "Like, do we just kind of...?"

Acting, hahahahaha, yes it takes so much effort for me to act like a lesbian... Rosemary shrugged. "Well, we just kinda. Hold hands and be gay, I guess."

"Alright... Well, anyways, do you and Jennifer want to come to my birthday dinner tonight? We could just kind of chill," Juliet said.

"Yeah, of course!"

She walked her to her first hour class. Going to English, her thoughts were, No, she never dated... No. Even if it's fake, I'm definitely her first girlfriend. I'll be her first kiss. Oh, god, Rose, don't get ahead of yourself.

****

After third hour, David met her at her locker, where there was a pleasant absence of Aadarsh, which did a lot for peace between them all.

"David, I have an idea to keep him away, but I want you to know what's up," she began. "How would you handle me and Juliet acting extremely gay together?"

"Come again...?" The look on his face was a fun mix of confusion and indifference, like he was wondering where it came from, yet also wasn't surprised.

"Well, it'll stop his telling the entire seventh grade that I'm his girlfriend," she explained. "And you're no excuse; straight girls can cheat, but a lesbian won't date a guy, and much less doubt her sexuality for him."

He considered it for a moment before shrugging. "Yeah... Do what you think is best, I guess. I won't stop you." Rosemary would come to realize later that his words here would be the roots of a big conundrum.

They walked to his locker, where Seth (the cool one) met them.

"But, I guess you don't really have to worry about losing me, because I don't intend on going anywhere," she said with a shrug. "No matter what he says or does, I'm yours."

Seth nodded in agreement. "Yeah, David, I assure you that you have nothing to be concerned for. Aadarsh wants you to react, so my advice is: don't. If you give him what he wants, then he wins. You know what he wins, David?"

"My woman." David looked like he was taking orders for a war, and he and Aadarsh were the opposing armies while Rosemary was Helen of Troy. Who would've guessed that Juliet was Paris, while David was the king that Rosemary was "stolen" from. Okay, maybe that was a little ridiculous of an analogy, and Rosemary probably should've been a little offended at how possessive he was being... but still.

They walked to the lunch line, Seth continuing to explain the situation and make harsh threats about the seventh grader.

"David," she started quietly. "Don't leave me." She hadn't thought much about Aadarsh that day, but being with the two of them was a rude wake up call. She wasn't the only one who was playing this like a game anymore. To them I'm just a hot, stupid blonde, aren't I? The white girl they aren't allowed to like and therefore they do.