Rosey's Birthday Party (Part 2)

Rosemary

After cake, Rosemary remembered the dress she had for the next year's homecoming. "Juliet, Jennifer, come on, I want to show you my homecoming dress!"

They went into her room which looked like the only survivor of an earthquake preceded by a hurricane and followed by seven tornadoes. It was sort of a mess, in short. She walked to her closet and pulled out the long, slim black gown. Silver glitter spread across the top.

"It's so beautiful," Juliet noted.

"Try it on!" Jennifer exclaimed.

"Oh, gods, fine, but don't look at me!" Rosemary told them. Juliet politely turned away, but even if she hadn't been undressing, she would've felt like Jennifer was undressing her with her eyes, so it didn't matter that she refused. "Alright," she said.

Juliet turned around and smiled. "Beautiful." After an awkward moment, she added, "Can I try it on?"

"Yeah sure, just a moment," Rosemary said before slipping it off. Pulling on her tank top and shorts, she handed the dress to Juliet and then looked away.

Her thoughts were distracting her until Juliet hissed, "Well shit." Turning around, Rosemary saw her friend somewhat stuck, trying to get the zipper to go all the way up.

That's because you have bigger boobs than me, Rosemary thought to herself with a soft laugh. She walked over, trying to adjust it in a way that would allow the zipper to go all the way up, but it was hopeless.

"This is stupid," Juliet groaned.

"You probably would've looked way better in it than me anyways," Rosemary sighed. "It's for the better of my self esteem that you couldn't fit into it."

"You're definitely right," Juliet laughed. "You're going to look amazing, though. David is one lucky guy if he gets to take you to the dance."

"If we don't break up before then," Rosemary added. When she noticed Juliet and Jennifer looking at her in confusion, she hastily added, "I mean, I don't want to be too optimistic and then be heart broken over a breakup, you know?"  

"Or maybe you'll get the sense to end it yourself," Juliet muttered under her breath as she started to take off the dress.

Rose turned around sharply and asked, "What was that?" though she had heard her friend perfectly well. It was no secret that Juliet was against her relationship with David, but they'd been going out for over five months, and with all the Aadarsh drama, Rosemary didn't want to end it. It was just getting good!

That sounded shitty. It wasn't like the entertainment was the only reason they were still together! He was really sweet and dear to Rose, and she really liked him and . . .

Who was she kidding. They were in middle school. Of course the entertainment was what kept them together.

"Here,"Juliet said, handing the dress back to Rose, who promptly hung it up.

Rachel and Cynthia popped their heads in to see what was going on. "Rosemary, it's a disaster in here," Rachel laughed.

"Yes, indeed, very messy, we can take the exit over here now please," Rosemary directed, not wanting the atrocity that her room was to be seen by all.

****

After Cynthia and Sidney had left, there wasn't very much left to do. Everyone got into their pajamas, except for Juliet, who had forgotten a shirt.

"Borrow one of mine!" Rosemary had a tendency to forget that she was tiny in all of her proportions, though, which made it difficult for others to fit into her clothes. None of her tank tops fit, and Juliet ended up borrowing one of Ms. Montague's.