The Power of the State

Juliet

Being considered a witness to a murder she did not commit was not exactly on Juliet's bucket list for freshman year, and knowing that it could have been her who was murdered instead was not an envied thought. Sitting beside Rosemary in the police station, she thought back to a day in history class when they were asked a very important question.

"Would you rather be a happy idiot or a miserable genius?"

Rosemary scrunched up her nose that cute way she did when she was thinking hard about something, but Juliet already knew her answer.

"A happy idiot," she answered, certain of herself.

"And why is that, Miss Capulet?"

"Because if one was a miserable genius, they would have to live with the constant fear and anxiety, knowing every danger that lies ahead. Sometimes, it's just better to be oblivious."

One look at Rosemary could tell you that she disagreed, but Juliet figured she'd understand eventually.

Eventually came too soon. They held hands, Rosemary squeezing hers way too tightly, and she shook her knees fast enough to shake the entire bench.

"Rose, it's going to be okay," she promised. Seeing that made no difference, she kissed her gently. "I promise."

Rosemary nodded, and Agent Simon came into the room. "Girls?" They followed her into the next room. "Last night, you witnessed by ear a murder of this young lady. Do you know her?"

They looked at the picture, and Juliet realized that it was Alexis. She glanced at Rosemary who stared, wide-eyed.

"Tracie," Rose whimpered. "Alexis doesn't live anywhere near me. Whoever did this knows where I live . . . They were warning us." Tears streamed down her cheeks, and Juliet rubbed her arm, trying her hardest to console her, but not knowing how. She was right.

"What makes you believe this?" asked Agent Simon.

"You saw the body, Simon. It was right outside my balcony."

"Do you remember hearing anything before then?" Simon asked. "You know the drill, anything at all could help."

"No," Rosemary sighed.

"Not even a car?" Simon pressed.

"No," Rosemary repeated. Juliet took her hand, trying to calm her a bit. This was hard on all of them.

"What about you, Juliet?"

Juliet looked down, feeling bad that she couldn't help. "I'm sorry, Tracie," she said. "I was asleep, I didn't hear anything."

"It's okay, no one's blaming you for that. It's good that you can sleep in times such as these," Simon told her. "So, Rose, you called 911 right away?"

"Yes, of course I did," she groaned.

"What can you tell me about the shots?"

Rose's face grew dark, and Juliet could tell she was reliving it. She wished that she could help, maybe take off some of that burden.

"There were two," Rose began, and Juliet could feel her shaking. "Like, pop, pop. They were . . . close, but not really close. Close enough that where the body was found makes sense.

****

Officers followed both of them day in and day out, and Juliet was sick of it. The press picked an interest in the case, so they were also bombarded with reporters everywhere they went. Rosemary's anxiety was getting worse, and Juliet was finished with the shit. It wasn't even May yet, but so much had happened.