First Date

Juliet

They'd been together for about two weeks, but that second Friday was when they were going on their first real date. Juliet wasn't exactly sure that nervous was the word. As she fought her stubborn, thick hair into some sort of half-assed style, she felt - rather than worry - a sort of calm coming over her, like this was exactly what had always been meant to happen. Instead of there being that disgustingly ever-present anxiety when she had been with Alexis, it just generally felt right, not sickeningly wrong. Rosemary and Juliet were supposed to be together, and doing so was the most natural thing in the world.

"Juliet, would you stop trying so damn hard on your face, you see her literally every day, why is this different?" her mother snapped, walking past the bathroom.

"We're going outside of a house, I want to look presentable, okay? God, Mom."

"You're acting like it's a date."

"I always dress nicely to go places."

"Not school."

"School isn't a place, Mom, it's hell. There's a difference."

Ms. Capulet sighed before gesturing for Juliet to hurry it along. With a groan, Juliet grabbed her things and went out to the car.

She knocked on the Montagues' door, as she had many other times in the past two years, but this time felt different. It felt like it was the beginning of something that every other beginning was destined to end it. No, that sounds like some pretentious asshole poetry shit, she wasn't thinking that way... Except, she was, and she hated that she didn't hate it as much as she thought she should.

"Hey! Ready?" Rosemary asked as she opened the door. She was wearing a red pencil skirt with a black blouse, undoubtedly to mirror the typical style of Kanaya from Homestuck, a canonically lesbian character. Juliet smiled at this.

"Yeah, I'm ready."

"Oh, wait, come inside first," Rosemary realized, gesturing behind her. "I almost forgot."

"Forgot what?" Juliet asked, her curiosity pricked.

"I got you this." Rosemary was shuffling through some papers on the table, shaking her head and muttering. "Well, it's somewhere. Are we going to ignore that we're accidentally cosplaying RoseMary, and how ironic that is, given my name is Rosemary?"

"Oh, shit, you're right," Juliet laughed, looking down at her own black dress and pink scarf. "So, what is this thing that you got?"

"Hold on, I'll check my room, just..." Before finishing her thought, she bolted down the hall. Juliet sighed, sitting down.

"You have no idea how excited she's been," Ms. Montague told her. "It must be one good movie you two are going to see."

"Yeah," she replied, not wanting to betray the true backstory of the evening. "I can't wait to see how it ends."

Before Ms. Montague could say any more, Rosemary dashed back into the room, holding a composition notebook. "Here! I found it. God, you wouldn't believe how easy it is to misplace things in that room. I cleaned it but forgot to catalog. That was the mistake, you see. If I don't catalog things, then I lose them and... well, you know the rest. Here!"

Juliet took the notebook and saw "Rosemary & Juliet: The Completely and Absolutely True In Its Fullest Story" written on the cover. She smiled. "I'll look through it later," she assured her.

****

Ms. Montague drove them to the area where Emagine Novi was, but once she was gone, they first made for a nearby restaurant. Rose held the door open for Juliet as they walked in.