Love Doesn't Just Stop

Rosemary

She came bearing gifts that December nineteenth, and it was one straw shy of being a burden to carry into school that morning. She dealt out all her gifts, standing aside to watch everyone open them, smiling at their faces. Every year she knew exactly what to get them, and that made her happy. More importantly, it made them happy.

Juliet appreciated her gift, which was good. She gave her gloves and the ear warming thingy because she had no gloves and never wore a hat, hot chocolate because, um, delicious, tea because it was her favorite, returned her clothes because they were hers, and then the mug, which she had designed herself. She chose the quote because she felt sometimes Juliet forgot just how important she was, how loved she was, and of course, by no one more than Rosemary.

Then it was time for Rosemary to open her gift from Juliet, who apologized for the shittiness, but that was of course unnecessary. She'd gotten a giant highlighter, which was pretty great, rainbow shoelaces, which was awesome because her converse could then be her gay converse, some other trinkets, and then the ironic hand sanitizer . . . which was the same damn scent that Juliet had kept dumping on her at the mall.

"You should probably be expecting to receive this again, my dear friend," she assured her.

"Dude, you gave it to me for my birthday last year. That's why it's so funny," Juliet laughed.

Remembering now, Rosemary started to laugh too. That was pretty great.

****

"Merry Christmas," Seth said, kissing her before going to his fifth hour.

"Merry Christmas," she replied, admittedly blushing a little. Then again, Juliet would say that Rose was always blushing.

"Hey, Rose," came a voice from behind her.

She whirled around to see David standing there uncomfortably, and realized she was leaning against his locker. "Oh, hey, David! Sorry."

"It's fine. I'm guessing Seth was here, then?"

"Yeah. You know how it goes." She didn't know what she was saying, but talking to David about Seth was always so weird.

"He's being good to you?" he double checked.

Rosemary rolled her eyes. This kid was always looking out for her. "Yes, he is."

"Good," he said. "You'd tell me if he wasn't, right? I'd kick his ass."

"I know you would," she laughed.

"Well, um, see you," he said, closing the locker and walking away.

As she walked to her class across the hall, she wondered what was with him. He somehow seemed more uncomfortable talking about her relationship than she did.

Her attention was swayed when she realized that the folding wall was open, and they were being joined by Mr. Starling's class again. She caught Sidney's eye and smiled. Time for trouble.

"Since we're starting our unit on the Great Depression," Mr. Stark began after the bell rang, "we decided we should watch It's A Wonderful Life in class today." Ah, yes. The best thing a teacher could do, find an excuse to watch a movie that was arguably completely relevant.

"I love this movie," Rosemary said to Sidney as they took their seats next to each other. "I mean, I'm a slut for old movies as it is, but I love the message of this one. Life is beautiful and we are all relevant in some way."

"Yeah -" Sidney started to respond, but they were cut off by the stern look of their teachers as the movie was beginning. It was nice to know that they were accepted as the quiet ones separately, and the chatty ones together. That's what friendship between shy people was all about.