The Homecoming Game

Juliet

"I'M AN INTERCHANGEABLE WINCHESTER, BITCHES!" yelled Rosey's voice, coming into school that morning. Juliet understood why, and giggled.

"Dead men don't wear plaid," she laughed, rolling her eyes slightly at Rose's silliness.

"Leather jacket on, I'm Dean. Leather jacket off, I'm Sammy. And initially, I was supposed to be Rachel Elizabeth Dare!" The warning bell sounded, and she looked panicked. "Well, got to go! Today is one of those days I pull the magic trick where I'm not late to Bio!"

She bounded off, leaving Juliet in the atrium with the others. Novi was pretty serious about Spirit Week, she was coming to realize. It was kind of funny. No one seemed to show pride in their school any other time of the year. Not truly, at least.

There was pride in their individual grades and GPA's. People were proud of their music, of the teams that they were on, the clubs they participated in. But there was no pride in their school, in the sense that no one was bragging that Novi High School was the best school in the country, or that their graduation rate was so much higher than surrounding schools, or that their academics and class choices were so much better than most other schools. No one cared very much.

But, shit, it's homecoming week? Wave your green and white, bitches, we're the Wildcats!

Not that anyone expected them to win homecoming game...

****

Juliet sat in sixth hour, well aware of her incomplete homework. Of course it was incomplete. What did she look like, a good student? This was high school, no one gave any shits anymore. But, they checked in their own homework, and Mr. K believed what they said (at the time), so it didn't really matter anyways.

She glanced at the door, seeing Rosemary walking quickly to the room. The bell rang, and her friend was late, yet again. It only took a second for Juliet to figure out why, though, because there was Seth, pulling her into a hug before dashing into the classroom next door.

They were cute. Disgusting.

Mr. K didn't seem to mind, though. It was, after all, two seconds, and Rosemary was the best student (even if it came from being a know-it-all asshole).

"Hey," she whispered, running to her desk. "I really need to learn how to walk faster without killing my knee."

Juliet rolled her eyes. She didn't need to walk faster, she needed to stop getting distracted by him.

****

On Friday, Rosemary had a rose in her hand, a small smile tugging at her lips. Juliet wondered if Seth gave it to her. Not that she pinned him as a romantic, but hey, who knows?

"From your boyfriend?"

"Nope. From some random tenth grader who has been staring at me for weeks. Seth gave me a water bottle though... that was mostly empty... well. He said he might, earlier this week, but, I don't know. I guess it's a bit late for that."

"Has he asked you to homecoming?"

"Yes, he did that just before fifth hour. It was so cute. He started blushing and he couldn't verbalize it, and he kind of asked me in this mixture of English and French and... oh my gods, I can't even."  

She really was happy with him, and Juliet really couldn't be upset about that.

"As long as derpy Korean guy knows what's up."

****

"Small children," Rosemary noted as they walked out to the pep rally.