Chapter 9: It's oldest the question of all who can spy on spies

Arizona Scottdale

Jennifer pov

Back at the Poison Pen bookstore, Jennifer strolled up the staircase to her office. Truth be told, as an editor, she still felt like an agent for MI6, going through all the manuscripts to discover the secrets in them. Without a single doubt, the publishing business is a very cutthroat business.

But it was one that she enjoyed; Jennifer liked discovering new talented authors like David. Jennifer had often wondered if he based his character, Mike Sharpie, on his brother Lex. She still hadn't edited his second book, The Spider's Embrace, yet. She wonders who this Azela Elizabeth Grey was or what she had to do with David.

Jennifer cleaned up all the manuscripts on her desk while thinking about what her life would be like if she were still an agent. She would be lying if she said she didn't miss the danger and thrill associated with being a spy. That was why she ended up publishing and editing spy thrillers. Deep down. She still liked the feeling of being a spy.

After a while, she went down into the bookstore to see what was going on with the customers. They were the reason she opened up the bookstore. First, it was just a hobby, but then it became business as people went on holidays to see their favorite authors.

She still had her suppressed Glock 34, but it was kept in her safe behind one of the pictures of her and the authors that hung there. She walked over, greeting some customers who were picking up the books they had ordered and signed.

They were sad to hear about the new author's death and that he was killed. She gave them each a copy that was signed by him. They thanked her and strolled around looking. She looked out the window, behind the cashier counter, and saw the black sedan drive away.

Maybe tonight she would finish reading David's book, to see she what she could find out with editor instincts sharp as ever. She put out  more signed copies aside; for some other costumers get to ready. She glanced at her watch noticing that it was almost closing time. Patrick strolled over to her behind the counter.

"Have a great evening Jennifer see you tomorrow for another day,"Patrick  remarked.

"You too Pat that was some evening wasn't it?" she stated

"It sure was Jennifer," he said walking out the backdoor  of the  bookstore, and over to his 2020 Ford escape opened the door and climbed in driving off.

Jennifer walked around the counter after the as the last of the costumers closed the door turned off  the lights  walking out of the door closing it ,as she walked around; to her Toyota Corolla and climbed closing the door behind as she drove the street wondering what tomorrow would bring.

Jennifer drove through the city, turning down some blocks and streets before he coming to the neighborhood where her house. It Was a gated community. She pulled up to the gate and punched in her code to open the gate. Driving through, she waved at some people walking by on her way in.

She drove around the curve as she pulled up to her house and parked on the driveway. She stepped out closing the door walking up the sidewalk to the front entrance.Sher reached into her pocket and pulled out her keys to unlock the door before she entered.

Walking in, she closed the door behind her. It wasn't until the age  of twenty-five that she had joined MI6 and became an agent for them. She guessed it was the thrill  after she had read her first spy novel Casino Royale that got her thinking about it. She ventured over to the kitchen; and made her some dinner as she turned television.

CNN late-breaking news flashed across the screen as Wolf Blitzer appeared  on.

"President Putin will be traveling to Washington, Dc to meet with President Roberts where they  will both sign a treaty to put an end,  to cyberterrorism and arms deals been sold to rogue nations,"

She wondered if Lex knew about this; she guessed he probably did. After she finished her dinner, she had  decided to get some fresh air and strolled over to the back door, grabbing it, and opened the door. She ventured onto the deck.

Tomorrow she had dozens of manuscripts  to edit before she published them.She went back in after a while strolled over to the sofa sat down and watched the rest of the late-breaking CNN news. She had  to ambit that there was something about Lex that had she had seen in David's eyes. Maybe it was because one was an agent while the other was an author she didn't know?

The next morning Jennifer woke up and had a good breakfast before walking out of home toward her Ford Escape. She unlocked the door and climbed closing the door behind her

.She drove down the streets through the city as she glanced back, seeing a black sedan tailing her. What the fuck she thought? It was the sedan that left the bookstore earlier.

But why were they tailing her for? She was just an editor and publisher. She circled back around one more time to see what happened. They were still following her that was strange, she thought. Jennifer knew that she might have contact in the high-end protection and security. Maybe they could shed light on what was going.

Jennifer drove through the old town, passing by souvenir shops and restaurants before she came to the bookstore. She parked outside and climbed out, closing the door. Walking down over the front door, she unlocked it with her keys. She ventured inside, turning on the lights.

She walked over to the back door and ventured up the staircase that lead up to her office. Jennifer went in strolling over to her desk and sat in the chair in front of it. She knew what parts of the manuscript were redacted, but she never  bothered to ask. Knowing that whatever it was highly classified intel.

Jennifer hadn't read the Spider Embrace, yet she knew that it was the second book in his debut series. Still there always the nagging question; if he had  slip some classified Secrets into it?

She rose  from the desk, strolled  down the staircase into the bookstore area and greeted  more costumers that came to pick up their copies of signed books. She slowly glanced back out the door, to see the black sedan still driving by. Her gut was telling her that those security consultants knew more than they told Lex.

Patrick drove into the parking lot behind the bookstore climbing out and walked into the bookstore seeing Jennifer there, he smiled.

"Moring Jennifer," Pat remarked.

"Morning Pat, it's going to be a busy day today," Jennnifer replied.

The costumers paid for their books and walked out  onthe downside she knew that they had come from Regina Saskatchewan and that they had coming here ever since.

1177 words in chapter