Chapter 5:Legends and covers

St Petersburg, Russia

Triple-A7 pov

Triple-A7 studied the manuscript closely, walking over to his desk. He flipped the pages, looking at anything that this supposed author might have put in. He sat down in his chair behind his desk, placing the manuscript on it. There had to be something in here, he thought. He had Azalea tail to the shooting range.

Through his contacts in the GRU and the Kremlin, he had learned about a network of assassins called The White Nights that had been running and owned by a foreign agent code-named Rogue. Which got him thinking about whatever happened to her after. Although none of the assets that he had in the intelligence services knew anything about her,

It was like she was a ghost and didn't exist, but he knew better; he had a strange feeling that she was still around somewhere. But right now, he was worried about this agent from the CIA that Rose had mentioned to him.

"See what you can find out about this Lex Jackson before you send your assassins after him," Triple-A7 stated

"What if he goes snooping around the shooting range in Scottsdale that we own through our front company?" Azalea asked in her Russian accent

"If that happens, then you eliminate him but only then will you understand," Triple-A7 remarked

"I still think we should have killed the editor too; after all, she was an MI6 agent at one time," Rose pressed on

Rose walked out of the five-story mansion knowing Triple-A7 was right about Jennifer Peters, the editor and owner of the bookstore, so she had Grey plant a listening device in the office. From there, she learned the editor was a former MI6 agent. which had her wondering if maybe the author had told her some secrets.

There was no doubt in her mind that Lex Jackson was going to be a problem for them. Especially with the assassination they were planning and the arms deals. They needn't do this right now. For five years, she had been undercover in the Russian Mafia consortium when her cover was compromised.

She reached into her pocket, pulled out her burner, and took one quick look around. She then punched in the number of her asset inside the CIA, who was an analyst on the European desk. She had gained his trust; she told him that she could offer him more money than he could handle.

Jack's Colquitt encrypted burner rang on his desk in the Central Intelligence Agency. He reached down and opened the second drawer, looking around and making sure that no one was watching or listening. He had to be very careful about it because he knew that if they caught him, they would know that he was the mole.

"I need some intel on the Alpha team and this agent named Lex Jackson," Rose asked him.

"You want me to look up some classified information on a black ops unit and one of our agents? You know, if I get it, I go to prison for treason," Jack muttered.

"Yes, think about how much money you'll be making," Rose exclaimed

"You got some freaking nerve and guts," Jack snapped

You know who I work for, Jack. I would be very cautious if I were you; maybe one day you walk out of your home to the car you get in and it explodes out of nowhere and you get killed by 50-caliber rounds from a sniper rifle," Rose stated.

Jack had never asked Rose who her paymaster was; he was told it was no questions asked, no answer given the need-to-know kind of thing. But one thing he knew for sure was that he started looking up some black ops groups that he did not have clearance for because he needed security clearance. Alerts would go off on every computer here.

At one time, he had been a field agent, which he was good at but got too ambitious and greedy, eventually killing a terrorist in the interrogation room after he found what he needed to know. Of course, Director Hamilton had demoted him to an analyst at the European desk.

Now he was selling out his own country and the CIA for thirty billion dollars to some unknown entity whom Rose worked for. He couldn't complain; he had a nice home and a fancy car.

"Okay, I see what I can find out. It won't be easy. I'm telling you that I want fifty billion dollars wired into my offshore bank account in Berlin to understand," Jack replied, then pressed on. " And if you threaten, I'll go, Director Hamilton, if what I know,"

"Fine fifty thousand dollars will be wired to your offshore bank account, and just remember, we can get you anywhere," Rose remarked in a forceful tone.

She ended the call on her encrypted burner, placed it back into her pocket, walked into the mansion, and strolled over to the massive desk with large computer screens hung all over.

"I talked to you about assets inside the CIA; he's going to see what he finds out about the Alpha team and Lex Jackson," Rose said.

"Can your asset trust Rose with the intelligence he will get?" Triple-A7 stated.

"Yes, he can; he knows what happens if he doesn't; he wants fifty thousand wired into his offshore," Rose told him

"Fifty thousand dollars, he'd better be worth it," Triple-A7 exclaimed.

899 words in chapter