Chapter 35: Anyone can decive us for a time

National security Advisor Pov

White House, Washington, DC

The National security advisor rose from where he was sitting. He had seen her expression hardened on her face before when she had found out that her former Vice President Tristan had betrayed her. If there was any truth to the gold being stolen from Saddam's Palace in Iraq, it had to be on Martin Ray's encrypted disc. He strolled out of the Oval office. Heading down the West Wing, corridor he strides down the staircase to the basement where the Situation room was located.

Grabbing the door, he entered the Situation room. He strolled over to the conference table. He sat down the chair at the table. Snatching up his satellite phone, he punched in a secure number for one of his agents. He held the phone up to  his ear, knowing that the Russians would dispatch probably send one of their assassins to stop them from trying to retrieve it.

******

Agent Coles grabbed her phone from her desk as she glanced at the number on the display screen. Seeing that it was the National security Advisor, she answered the phone. She knew  it had to be important if he was calling.

"Agent Coles, she answered in a European accent.

"Agent Coles, I want you and agent Dabbs, to go to Martin Ray's place immediately to search for his encrypted disc. Understand that is vital. Be careful. The Russians have dispatched one of their best assassins. To stop you from retrieving it," The national security advisor told her.

"Don't worry, we will be careful. What do you know about the encrypted disc that Martin Ray had?" Agent Coles inquired in a curious tone.

"Not a lot, just that it might have intel on the gold stolen from Saddam's palace and his operators that were on his black ops team,"The national security advisor stated.

She realized yes, of course remembering reading an intel report on a black ops special forces unit in Iraq that had burst into the palace and stole the gold. Back then, she did not know that it was Martin Ray's unit. The word in the CIA; back then was  that he had been a loose cannon. Agent coles wondered what this was really about there had to be more to it than just Stolen golden from Saddam's palace and operator's that were in his unit back then.

"So you're telling me that this disc that Martin Ray had is vital to the treaty. But how?" Agent Coles asked, still trying to figure everything as she took it all in.

It was becoming clear that she was way over her head in this and what was at stake here. Yes, she had heard about Ruyan before, but still how did she fit into the treaty? Something kept nagging at her. Agent Coles couldn't put her finger on it.

"Once we have the disc, we'll have proof that he created the Resistance and have met with Triple-A7 before. Plus There are shadowy powerful forces who don't want the treaty to be signed; they know if it gets signed they will be  out of business," the national security advisor told her.

Agent Coles Shrugged "You're talking about the arms trade aren't you sir, And there's only one arms dealer I know who has the power and maybe the connections to stop the treaty from being signed."

"Yes, That why's the disc is so important. We can use it as leverage," the national security advisor stated.

The national security advisor ended the conservation on his satellite phone as he placed it back on the conference table as he rose from where he was sitting. Yes, he knew about the arms dealer/hacker connections; and how powerful he was. 

A few years ago, he had  came across a classified file on the arms dealer/hacker connections to Russtech Ammunition and looked into them to see what he could find out, about them. He had been warned   by the deputy director of National Intelligence to leave it alone, or he would never have a career in the White House or anywhere else.  He trembled at  the thought how powerful this aummunition company was and at who were clients.

He walked out of the Situation room strolling up the staircase into the West-Wing corridor. Now he knew who he was up against that didn't want this treaty to happen. He strides into the Oval office.

"Madame President, I put two of my best counterintelligence agents on it. We shall have the disc soon, don't worry," the national security advisor asserted.

President Roberts cocked her head as she leaned back in chair behind the Resolute desk while pressing her fingers into a steeple before she spoke.

"We're going to have to tread carefully here. The treaty is close at hand and I won't have the Resistance or Russtech Ammunition stop it. I worked so hard to get here. If they think  they mess with me, they have something coming," President Roberts exclaimed.

"Still, if we stop and take down the Resistance, we're going to worry about Russtech Ammunition," the national security advisor told her.

"Yes, I know. Don't worry, I will deal with them myself when the time comes. Just make sure your agent retrieve disc okay," President said as she stood up.

Evan had to admit he had seen the President never back down from any challenges or attempts made on her. The first time he had met President Roberts was when she appointed him as the national security and saw potential in him. In a way, he wanted the treaty to happen. 

"Our biggest problem is Deputy Director of National Cassandra Lei and Senator Meera Bryce..." the national security advisor explained as she walked back and forth,... "She's the chairman of the Action committee that oversees the Access Special programs including The Alpha group."

President Roberts' expression hardened as her eyes narrowed while hearing those two words. Senate Action committee. She was still looking for a new Vice President; she had to admit Senator Meera Bryce could be the perfect Vice President for her.

There was an old saying that she had gone by

"Keep your friends close but your enemies closer,"

Still, she had no idea who was really behind Russtech Ammunition, only that they were powerful, dangerous and had connections all over the world, and even to the Kremlin. But she had full force of the intelligence community at her hand and Plus the Alpha Group. There was very little that she didn't know about, and she knew enough about the Senate Action committee; knowing what she found out was not a surprise to her.

"I want the security all around the treaty to be tighter than ever, understand this way, no chance of the Resistance to stop or the Russian President from signing it," President Roberts demanded in a calm authoritative tone.

"Yes, Madame President, I have my best agents and the secret service all over the area," the national security told her.

It was always good to have an ace up your sleeve, President Roberts to herself.

Of course, that was Ruyan, but one had to be careful with dealing with her she knew. One false move and then her plan would fall apart and Ruyan would have the upper hand again. Well, she would not let that happen. Sometimes secrets are the best secrets until they are useful.

"Are you sure we can trust Ruyan, may I remind you she did tried to assassinate you in Berlin. My instinct is telling me she can't be trusted, Madame President," the national security advisor scowled.

"Trust me, I can handle Ruyan, she's my asset inside the Resistance. Everything will come together," President Roberts asserted.

"I Hope you're right, Madame President, because if it backfires and the Russian President gets killed it will look on American soil. And that is something you don't want," the national security advisor told her as he turned around strolled out of the Oval office.