40 | MAMIHLAPINATAPAI

mamihlapinatapai (noun)

a look shared by two people, each wishing that the other would initiate something that they both desire but which neither wants to begin.

-

day eighteen.

Chase and Zero had shown up at school that day and received a reasonable amount of reprimanding from their principal. They got off on a warning and had to give him their word that they wouldn't skip school again. 

At present, the boys had decided to go for a walk in the evening. They were currently walking in a park under the shade of rows of tall trees. They watched in silence as copper coloured leaves poured down all around them in an unsystematic manner. 

They decided to stop by a tree and chat for a while before they would begin their adventure back home. 

"These past few days with you have been really special, you know," Zero said with a grin. 

Chase took a good look at him. He looked ethereal under the shade of the tree from which dead leaves rained down mercilessly - and with the gentle breeze which swept his hair aside every now and then. However, to Chase, what truly made him look that exquisite was his smile

"I didn't think that just staying with you for a week or two would make me forget about how disastrous my past is," he said with a quiet chuckle. "Thank you, Chase. I owe you."

Chase didn't say anything. He couldn't. He was too captivated by how beautiful the other male looked at that moment. 

In that moment, there was nothing more he wanted than to pull Zero closer and kiss him till the end of time. 

Then, as if he were in a state of hypnosis, he took a step closer to Zero. 

Zero glanced up at Chase in confusion. 

Chase placed his index finger under Zero's chin, making him face him clearly. Then, he ran his thumb across Zero's lower lip - all the while scrutinizing Zero's features, mesmerized. 

And then, he did what he had been wanting to do for the longest time.

He leaned in and pressed his lips against Zero's. 

And God, he was taken aback by how soft the other male's lips were. He wished time would stop just then for the two of them. 

And what a sight it was. Two males locking lips under a tree, pesky maple leaves landing on the top of their heads. 

Zero didn't react for a moment. 

Then, he pressed his palms against Chase's chest - and pushed him away.

Chase was startled for a second. He opened his mouth to apologize.

But he couldn't.

Zero ran all the way back home.

-