34 | KAINOTOPHOBIA

kainotophobia (noun) 

fear of changes.

-

day thirteen.

That day, Chase and Zero hadn't gotten the opportunity to communicate much for two reasons. The first one being that Zero had woken up extremely late - his reason being that Chase's bed was just too comfortable to leave - and the second one being that they had loads of homework to catch up on. 

Chase had prepared breakfast, lunch and dinner for two stomachs. He had completed a year's worth of homework. He had fed Kitty and even spent some time entertaining her, and on top of that, he had vacuumed the entire house. 

Needless to say, he was exhausted. 

However, when night-time fell upon them, Chase found himself resting on the couch and staring up at the ceiling - unable to fall asleep. He was definitely tired, but for some reason, every time he closed his eyes, he found them opening once again. 

He sat up on the couch and cursed it for being so uncomfortable. Following this, he began to wipe his face with his palms, letting out a string of inaudible words that a holy individual wouldn't dare utter. 

That was when he heard a scream.

He was frozen in place for a brief second, wondering where it could have come from - when he realized that it had come from his room. 

Immediately, he got off the couch and dashed over to his room at the speed of light. 

He raced over to Zero's side - who was curled up in a ball on Chase's bed, tears streaming down his red cheeks. His lower lip was quivering uncontrollably and he was muttering a few inaudible words under his breath. His brows were furrowed and his eyes were squeezed shut, indicating that he was indeed having a nightmare. 

Chase was unsure of what to do in the beginning. Then, his hand began to move on it's own and it placed itself on Zero's cheek. 

That seemed to do the trick. 

Immediately, the boy stopped shaking. He let out a shaky breath and his brows relaxed - and then, his eyes fluttered open. 

"C-Chase?" he whispered.

"You were having a nightmare," Chase informed, removing his hand.

"Oh," Zero responded, sitting up on the bed. "I'm sorry if I woke you."

"No, it's okay. I couldn't really get any sleep anyway," he reassured. 

When Zero didn't respond, Chase spoke again, "I'll get going then. Goodnight."

He turned to exit the room, however, Zero grasped onto his wrist - stopping him in his tracks.

Chase gave him a look of confusion, "What is it?"

"Sleep here with me tonight," Zero pleaded, looking up at Chase with glossy eyes. "Please."

-