4 | ALEXITHYMIA

alexithymia (noun)

the inability to express your feelings.

-

It goes without saying that the following years resulted in the boys becoming closer than they had ever been before. Chase had ended up introducing Zero to his own circle of friends and his own family as well. However, even after three years, Zero still hadn't introduced Chase to his friends or his family. 

Whenever Chase proposed the idea of meeting Zero's parents, Zero did one of two things: remained silent or changed the topic. After a repetitive cycle of said event taking place, Chase finally decided to let it go and didn't ask about his parents again. 

It was currently recess and the pair were having lunch together with their group of friends, laughing away at senseless jokes and talking about the events that had taken place in their school that day. 

Zero was extra chatty that day, he seemed happier than he had ever been before. And that made Chase smile.

"Hey, Zero," Tyler spoke. "I just realized that I've never seen your arms before. How come you're always wearing sweaters and shit?"

Zero rolled his eyes with a smile, "It's my style, Ty. Deal with it."

At this, the rest of the boys let out a string of giggles. 

"Is Zero your real name?" Oliver, another one of their friends, questioned, the curiosity evident on his face. 

Zero bit down on the inside of his cheek instinctively before looking back down at his food, prodding at his bun with a fork, "No it isn't."

"It isn't? Then what is it?" Tyler questioned eagerly.

This reminded Chase of when he had asked Zero about his name. Zero always tensed up whenever he brought up the subject. It was obvious he didn't like talking about it.

"Guys, let it go," Chase butted in. "When he's ready, he'll tell us."

"Such a gentleman," Jason grinned before standing up with his tray in his hands. "Anyway, we've only got around three minutes left, hurry up. We don't want to be late for class."

"Right, I'll be on my way then," Tyler said, standing up as well along with Oliver before the trio made their way out of the cafeteria together. Zero and Chase watched them leave before continuing to devour their food. 

Chase glanced over at Zero, and for a brief moment, he saw the sleeve of his sweater ride up just a little and what he saw on his forearm made him raise his brow in curiosity. 

"Why are you wearing a forearm guard?" he questioned upon noticing the cotton black sleeve-like material on his forearm. 

Zero set his fork down on his tray after he had finished swallowing the food in his mouth. Then, he stood up whilst holding his tray, looking down at Chase with a smile, "It's for volleyball."

Chase didn't notice how the smile didn't quite reach Zero's eyes.

-