24 | FORELSKET

forelsket (noun)

the euphoria you experience when you are first falling in love.

-

day six -> part two.

"Are you ready to explain the situation to me now?" Chase questioned once he'd finished feeding the stray kitten and giving it a much needed bath. Zero nodded in response and patted the empty area on the couch beside him, indirectly urging Chase to take a seat - to which he obliged. 

He made himself comfortable before turning to face Zero, "Go on."

"Uh.. well, I don't know where to begin," Zero sighed, staring down at his lap. "It all started when I was first adopted." He paused as if he were expecting Chase to question him, which he did. 

"Adopted? What do you mean?"

"I was an unwanted child," Zero stated, giving Chase a wistful smile. "And I still am."

They sat in silence for a while before Zero began again, "I grew up in an orphanage. I was adopted on the day of my tenth birthday. At first, everything was fine. I got along just fine with my step-parents. But, when I turned thirteen everything changed. My step-father divorced my step-mother and that sent her into a state of rage - so she decided to show me just how miserable she felt. By constantly beating me up, deliberately leaving me without food for days on end, locking me in an empty room for a whole week while sliding food into the room once a day on a used tray. She treated me like a dog."

Zero inhaled shakily. It was evident that he'd never spoken to anyone about this before. 

"On the night of Christmas, when I was fourteen - she was cooking and I had accidentally dropped a glass in the living room. I went and told her about it - she burnt me with the spatula she was holding. Then, she tried to hit me, but somehow I ended up getting away - and I found the beach. The beach where I met you."

Zero fell silent once again, this time indicating that he had finished speaking. 

Chase blinked helplessly at the other male, "She beat you just because her husband divorced her?"

"No, there's something else," Zero confessed. "She's homophobic."

"So?" Chase questioned. "Why would she beat you for that?"

"Chase," Zero sighed. "I'm gay."

-