17 | DUENDE

duende (noun)

the mysterious power of art to deeply move a person.

-

After that conversation, Zero returned back home - leaving Chase alone in the couch of his living room with nothing but his thoughts. His mind was a war-field, trying to figure out what he could do in the next thirty days to make Zero change his mind.

It would be extremely difficult to do so - for many reasons. The first one being that Zero was a very stubborn individual. Once he made up his mind about something, nearly nothing and nobody could make him reconsider. The second one being that Chase had never dealt with a suicidal individual before. He couldn't find the right words to say or the right thing to do without fearing that he would accidentally offend Zero.

He let out a dry chuckle, wondering how things came to this. Just a few days ago, they were with their group of friends, insulting each other for jokes and putting each other down for nothing but the purpose of amusement. However, now he had to be extremely discreet about what he said to Zero - and that made him feel pathetic. 

Pathetic because he felt the need to be cautious around his own best friend. He was sure Zero wouldn't like being treated like he was untouchable, and he couldn't be blamed for that. Chase wouldn't like it either. 

Then, he thought about the day that they had first met. On the night of Christmas when they trespassed into that beach. He smiled to himself subconsciously at the memory. That memory was always something that he held close to his heart. 

But this time, he remembered what he had asked Zero. He had asked him about the one thing that Zero wanted most in life. And, the fourteen year old Zero had answered with 'happiness'. 

Chase had a sudden idea. If life were a cartoon, there'd be a bulb flashing right above his head at that point. He concluded that he would make the next thirty days of Zero's life unforgettable. He'd make him happier than he had ever been before - and if that changes Zero's mind, he'll make those days memorable as well.

Although Zero was different from who he was three years ago, Chase prayed that happiness was still the one thing he wanted most.

-