31 | HYGGE

hygge (noun)

a feeling of warmth and cosiness as you enjoy life's simple pleasures. 

-

day eleven.

What Zero had said about the reason as to why he had chosen to name himself after a number had stuck with Chase. He had spent the entire night thinking about it - and when he woke up in the morning, it was the first thing on his mind. 

Hearing Zero say that he considered himself worthless had a negative impact on Chase's mood. He was sure that he had been making progress in making Zero happier - however, when he Zero said that he was of no value - it felt as if all his efforts had been to no avail.

However, regardless of how disappointed Chase was by that - he decided to consider that a form of motivation, to work even harder in helping Zero achieve the one thing he wanted most - happiness.

That day, during recess, Chase was awfully silent. Zero put up the usual facade that he did when he was around Oliver, Jayson and Tyler. He was busy chatting and laughing away with them. Whilst Chase observed Zero's reactions to the jokes the rest of the boys were making, he noticed for the first time how whenever Zero would laugh - the laugh sounded visibly forced. 

Again, he felt pathetic for not having noticed it before. He felt selfish. He was so caught up worrying about himself that he hadn't made room for the one person that he cared about most. 

"Chase? You good, man?" Tyler questioned with an elevated brow. 

Chase snapped back to reality. 

"I'm fine, don't worry."

Zero gave Chase a look of concern - something that went unnoticed by the rest of the boys. 

It didn't take long before the boys went back to the conversation they had been having before. 

"Ugh, the volleyball club is driving me absolutely nuts," Oliver complained.

"Speaking of the volleyball club," Jason began. "Zero, tell us about your little adventures at the volleyball club."

It was evident that he was making fun of Zero for having lied about such a thing. Although Zero simply let that comment slide, Chase took immediate offence to what Jason had said. 

He shot Jason a quick glare, "Hey man, back off. That's not cool."

Jason raised both his hands in the air, "Chill, man. I was just playing around."

"Yeah, well it's not very funny," he said curtly before going back to shoving his face with the food on his tray. 

The awkward silence remained for a brief minute before the boys went back to chatting away happily. Amidst their conversation about things that Chase could care less about, Zero leaned towards Chase. He neared his lips to Chase's ears and whispered the words 'thank you'.

-