18 | DYSTYCHIPHOBIA

dystychiphobia (noun)

the fear of hurting someone.

-

day one.

The following day marked the beginning of Chase's challenge. Class went like it normally would, yet the only difference was that the seat next to Zero was taken by a new student. Occasionally, Chase would glance over at Zero to make sure he was okay - he seemed just fine. Key word, seemed. 

Chase felt like he was in a whole new world now that he knew what was actually going on with Zero. And, in a way, he felt grateful that Zero had trusted him with information like that - which was why he took an oath to himself that he would give Zero a reason to live. 

During recess that day, Chase informed the rest of his friends that he would be spending recess alone with Zero, much to their confusion. Nevertheless, they agreed - and at present, Chase and Zero were seated together on a bench just outside the school, below a large tree that provided them with adequate shade. 

They ate in silence for a while before Chase spoke up, "Can I ask you something?"

"Yes."

"Do you think I'll be able to do it? Y'know, convince you to not.." he trailed off, not sure how to word his sentences properly without offending Zero. 

"To be honest, in the beginning I didn't," Zero chuckled. "But you seem so determined. You remind me of myself a way."

"How?" Chase grinned. 

"We're both stubborn, if we want something we'll go after it," Zero smiled to himself. "But usually, we would both have the same opinion. This is the only time both our decisions contradict each other, don't you think?"

"You're right," Chase nodded. "I have something else to request from you."

"And that is?"

"Promise me you won't harm yourself for the next thirty days."

Zero hesitated for a moment, "I.. I mean- you've done so much for me, I guess it's the least I could do. Okay, you've got yourself a deal."

Chase couldn't hold back the grin on his face at that. He held his arm out for Zero to shake so that they could seal the pact. Zero shook his head at Chase's eager expression and shook his hand with a genuine smile. He was confused as to how simply being in Chase's presence was enough to make him forget about everything that had gone wrong in his life. 

"Another thing, whenever I'm around you - I don't want you to give me a fake smile. If you don't want to smile, then don't. If you're genuinely happy, then I want to see you smile, okay?" 

"That's fine with me," Zero nodded. "You know.. maybe someday I might tell you."

"Tell me what?" Chase questioned, leaning back against the bench. 

"Tell you why I'm like this," Zero said with a pitiful smile. "And tell you why I chose to call myself Zero."

-