7 | AUBADE

aubade (noun)

a love song sung at dawn.

-

It was recess. Once again, the group of boys were seated in a table together whilst eating away in content. And yet again, Chase couldn't help but smile at how energetic Zero was that day. He seemed to be more engaged in the conversation the rest of the boys were having and was busy voicing his opinions on every topic that they brought up. 

"You guys want to meet up this Saturday?" Zero questioned with a smile. 

Hearing that surprised Chase, to say the least. Zero was never the one to make plans first. He usually waited for the others to suggest a gathering and most of the time, he never showed up. Yet, this time it was different.

"At your place?" Oliver questioned.

"No," Zero responded almost immediately. "I was thinking somewhere else, maybe."

"I'll come if I don't make any plans with Sarah by then," Tyler said.

"Sarah? Who's that?" Chase questioned curiously. 

"My girlfriend," Tyler stated.

"You never told me about her," Chase spoke.

"He doesn't need to," Oliver butted in. "Tyler has a new girlfriend every week."

The boys, with the exception of Tyler, burst out laughing at that statement. When they finally collected themselves and regained their composure, Tyler cleared his throat.

"Speaking of girlfriends," he leaned in. "Chase, when are you going to get one?"

"Never," Chase stated simply. "I'm not interested. Girls don't really attract me."

"So you're gay?" Oliver questioned. 

"I don't know," Chase responded. "I haven't really been attracted to any guys before either. But, I do find some of them really.. good-looking."

"That's normal, like who?" Jason asked.

He looked over at Zero for a brief moment. Their eyes met. 

"Zero," he confessed.

At this, the rest of the boys let out a gasp followed by them singing a love song to mock the pair. Chase rolled his eyes but couldn't help the smile on his face when he spotted Zero's cheeks turning the slightest shade of pink. 

He'd never seen Zero get flustered before. But, there's a first time for everything, right?

-