Chapter 36

23yrs ago

A crash noise woke up the 3-year-old boy from his sleep, he crawled out of his bed and tried to reach the doorknob when he heard another loud noise which startled him. 

He recognized the voices, his parents were shouting at each other. 

"I can't live like this." He heard his mother shout. "Why can't you ask your parents for money? They're filthy rich." 

"Shut up." He heard his father shout back.

The lil' boy crawled back into his bed and covered his ears with the pillows, trying to block out the noise. 

***  

"Where's mom?" The five-year-old boy asked his father.

His father didn't reply instead he had been looking at the watch intently and muttered something under his breath which failed to reach the boy's ears. 

They heard the footsteps from outside "Oh baby, thank you for the wonderful night," they heard her laugh, "call me." She shouted as she entered the flat. 

It was dark and she stumbled on the ground and fiddled with her heel strap, "Damn, why haven't you fixed the damn lights?" She shouted.

He saw his father rise form his seat and walked to his mother at the doorsteps.

"Where the hell were you?" He yelled.

"That's none of your business." She threw her sandals by the side as she entered further.

"Sandra!" He roared.

It startled the boy, his body trembled, for the first time his father sacred him, he immediately hid under the table.

"Don't you dare raise your voice at me." She yelled back. "I didn't marry you to live like trash." 

"What does that mean?" He glared at her.  

"Did you seriously thought I'd spend my life with a boring guy like you for nothing? The only thing you had were your rich parents, you left them too. You could never satisfy me, let me tell you, I had been sleeping behind your back," she felt a sting on her cheek, she laughed hysterically then continued, "I've got the right guy now, so I don't need you anymore, you can go and die alone in poverty." She laughed.

He stared at her in disbelief, "You were like this huh?" He then laughed, "Then you deserve this, b*tch. Right, continue living in this trash." He walked into his room, she followed him, he started packing her expensive bags and pieces of jewelry, "What the hell are you doing?" She shouted. "Taking back what's mine." He swatted her hands away. "I wasted my money here, you can ask your the-right-guy for them." 

He packed his things and came out of the room, "Take him too!" She shouted pointing at Rihito who was now standing at the doorsteps staring at his father.

Looking over his shoulder he replied, "You keep him, who knows whose blood he is." Saying this his father walked over.

"Hey! Take this sh*t with you." She shouted but he was gone. "He took everything and now I get to keep this useless thing behind." She gave him a scornful look as she walked to her room and shut the door behind. 

He was left alone, scared, confused, abandoned. 

***

The six years old boy struggled to reach up the kitchen counter, he pushed the chair and climbed his way up to the cornflakes, he smiled at his success but it was short-lived as soon he heard the door open and shut loudly, he heard a thud and muffled voices, "Oh yes," he heard his mother gasp. He immediately ducked down trying to hide. 

"You taste so good." He heard the stranger, he immediately tried to cover his ears but slipped from the kitchen counter and landed on the floor gaining their attention. 

"damn, you had a kid?" The guy shook his head and bolted out.

"Didn't I tell you not to come out of your damn room?" She yelled at the kid. 

"I wanted...food." His voice trembled and tears filled his eyes. 

"You know what happens to bad kids, don't you?" She smirked as she approached him, "No, I'm sorry, please forgive me." He plead crying. 

"You want food? Just learn how to survive without it." She threw him inside the room and locked the door from outside. 

"I sorry, please, mom... Sorry... please let me out." He begged but no one heard him, "Don't irritate me with your cries. You know what I hate the most?" She shouted from outside. He stifled his cries, wrapping his arms around knees, silently cried himself to sleep.

****

The seven years old had now learned how to deal with things, how to keep away from trouble, he had now learned how to sleep empty stomach,  cleverly sneak in some food inside when his hunger became intolerable, stay inside with his ears plugged the entire time when his mom brought strangers inside the house, life was now easier or so he thought. 

It was morning, he needed to rush to the bathroom but there were obstacles, his mom and her new boyfriend were still home, but he had to go, he slowly opened his door, finding the way clear, he tip-toed to the bathroom and quietly shut the door. 

When he got out, the man was standing right in front, it scared him, he wasn't supposed to be seen, this was bad, mom would punish him again. He muttered a curse under his breath. 

"It's okay. She's asleep." The man whispered as if he read his mind.

"You're a pretty one." He smiled, Rihito didn't like it. "Is that why she's been hiding you?" he licked his lips. 

He'd rather get caught by his mom instead, he thought.

"Let's get familiar with each other?" The man slowly approached him, he eyed him just as a predator would look at its prey. 

The boy tried to slip away but the man caught him, "Now just be a good boy." He smiled at him. But the boy kicked him away and tried to run, the man caught his legs and dragged him on the ground, "Don't try to piss me off." He warned him, Rihito kicked his face and tried to wiggle away but the man pulled him down and grabbed his neck, "I told you not to piss me off." His eyes darkened and Rihito found himself unable to breathe. 

He couldn't breathe, he tried to push his hands away but he couldn't, he was dying, he looked around, searching for anything that could help him, he pulled the legs of the tool, breaking the vase on it, he got hold of the piece of the glass, his hands trembled but he didn't have time, thinking about wrong and right, either the man killed him or he'd kill the man, he chose to live and was about to attack the man when someone hit the man's head with a long metal rod. The man wined in pain, loosening his grip, he looked at the attacker, it was his mom, his mom had saved him, Rihito coughed getting away, she hit again this time on his face, and again until the man collapsed lifeless on the ground.     

****