Chapter 8

6 yrs ago

The three best friends were sitting in a cafe, Rina was browsing on her phone while Teresa and Ai had their focus on their food.

*Ring* Ring*

"Hello..... yes, this is Rina Wilson," Rina answered her call. "What?..... Where?..okay I'll be right there."

"What happened?" Ai and Teresa asked seeing Rina tense.

"Sorry guys, I gotta go.. I'll tell you later." Rina grabbed her bag and hurried out of the cafe.

*Police station*

"Ethan!" She called out her 14 years old brother, who was inside the lock-up, "What the hell is going on?"

"Rina! please get me out of here! I'm innocent." Ethan pleaded.

"You're his guardian?" A male officer approached her.

"Yes, he's my brother," Rina replied.

Another officer brought Ethan out and made him sit beside Rina.

"so it's you and your brother? What about your parents?"

"They've gone out of the town for a few days." She answered. "What's the matter, officer?"

"Let me get to the point then, your brother got into a fight with his classmate and look at that poor boy, he's been beaten up so badly," he said pointing at the boy sitting at the right side, whose parents were throwing glares at them. Rina glared at Ethan, this wasn't the first time he got in trouble. She then turned to the kid's parents, "I'm really sorry on his behalf," she apologized.

"Hey! Why are you apologizing? He hit me first!" Ethan shouted.

"Shut up, Ethan!" Rina glared at her brother and turned her gaze back to the officer.

"Not only that, but we also got these drugs in his bag." The officer showed her the white powder packets sealed in a plastic bag. Her eyes widened in horror.

"I already told you it's his and not mine!" Ethan shouted in his defense.

"Shut up, boy! Don't you dare blame my son!" The guy's dad shouted.

"Calm down, sir!" The officer looked at the man and nodded, then he turned back to Rina. She looked at her brother with questioning eyes.

"Why are you giving me that look? I'm innocent! Those aren't mine." He yelled.

"Okay, Miss Wilson. Since your parents aren't here, as his guardian you need to answer a few of our questions."

"Yes?"

"How is Ethan at home?" He asked.

"Pardon?" She frowned, why's that important?

"I mean, does he have a problem at home? or school? Any similar complaints from school or others?"

"He gets into a fight every single day," yelled the victim, Ethan's classmate.

"He did have few fights but..." Rina replied but was interrupted.

"So, it's not his first time getting involved in a fight. Great!" The officer smirked.

"Excuse me?"

"And how is his relationship with his family? Family issues? fights between parents? broken relations?" he asked further.

"hmm... he's my stepbrother. My dad married his mom a year ago.... but what does that have to do with this?" Rina looked at the officer.

"It does, usually, these kinds of children get into these problems, fights, drug possession, robbery, etc...etc.." The police officer got up from his seat as he answered, "we'll handle from here on, sir," He then smiled looking at the boy's parents, they whispered something to each other, which Rina failed to see, the officer then turned to Rina, "Thank you, Miss Wilson. You may leave now."