Chapter 17

"Thanks. You saved me out there." Rihito smiled at Rina.

"Who was she anyway?" She asked as they walked to their room. She looked to her side but didn't find him. She turned back to see him standing still in the hallway with an unreadable expression on his face. I guess I wasn't supposed to ask?

"It's okay, you don't have to tell me." She said shrugging.

He didn't say anything as he entered the room first. Just a moment ago he was all smiles and now... She let out a long sigh as she followed him inside.

"She's my ex." She heard him mutter.

"Ah..yes... lots of clingy exes." She recalled him trying to hide from one of his exes when they first met at her best friend's wedding party. She laughed but when she didn't hear his witty reply, she looked in his direction only to find him sitting on the bed, his palms covering his face. What the hell? Where did the flirty, playful Rihito go?

She was never awkward around him, she never needed to filter her words or actions with him, but now there was sudden awkwardness.

She sat beside him, "I'm sorry. Forget I even asked anything." And please go back to normal, she wanted to add. He was always so approachable and now he was too distant and cold. She didn't know how to act around this Rihito.

"Damn that woman!" She flinched as he shouted, tugging his hair in frustration. "I can't believe she was still going on with her 'I'm so innocent' act. Woah!"

Rina stared at him blankly. What the hell is wrong with him? Misplaced his screws somewhere?

"And why are you sorry?" He shouted looking at her. She flinched again leaning a little back she answered, "I thought I asked something you don't want to talk about?"

"She cheated on me of course I don't want to talk about her. After all, she put me through she's still got the guts to come at me. What a shameless woman!" He got up, ranting out he paced around the room. "How dare she even show up in front of me? She just ruined my perfect holiday!" He whined.

Rina just stared at him, Is he back to normal now? Just a minute ago he was so different, so distant, like a complete stranger. Actually worst than a stranger, she would have rather shared the room with a stranger. But now looking at him whining like a child, pouting and stamping his feet he was back to normal?

After few minutes of ranting, he calmed down. Kneeling in front of her, he took her hands on his, "I'm sorry. I just lost my temper."

She couldn't help but laugh at the face he was making.

"Hey!" He pouted.

"I'm sorry. You were kind of cute." She pulled his cheeks. "But you scared me out there. Is it safe to assume you're back to normal now?" She asked.

"What normal? I'm still mad she ruined our perfect holiday. She ruined my happy jolly mood." He complained. "And can you please let go? My cheeks hurt."

"Aww, you're still mad? Okay, let's find some adventurous stuff to bring back your happy jolly mood?" She suggested letting go of his cheeks.

"Shark diving!" His eyes sparkled.

"Nice try but no!" She shook her head.

"Scuba?"

"No!"

*****

After the race through the wild jungle on ATVs, they returned back to the hotel. The hotel had organized a beach party so after getting ready they headed to the beach. At the party she noticed his ex with her fiancee, even though he said he was okay, his face said otherwise. Though he said he didn't care but he was really bothered by her presence. Rina was starting to get worried now, she decided they return back to the room. She searched around for Rihito but didn't find him anywhere. "Now where did he go?"

After almost checking out everywhere she found him drinking at restaurant's bar which was almost empty because of the party outside.

"Hey, handsome!" Rina sat beside him, he poured his drink without even glancing at her.

"Did you just ignore me? ouch! I'm hurt." She put her hands on her chest. 

"You new here?" She continued.

Rihito stared at her dumbfounded.

"What are you trying to do?" He asked, his voice slurred.

"Flirt?" She smiled at him.

He narrowed his eyes at her.

"Hello Mr. sexy stranger, I'm Rina and you are?"

"Aren't you married my lady?" He glared at her.

"Ah! But my husband ditched me, he's been drinking fretting over his ex so instead of crying in a corner I'd also rather spend my time with you." She winked at him. "and besides lil' bit of flirting doesn't hurt right? He himself believes in some 'healthy flirting'."

"But I'm not interested in married women. Sorry." He replied sipping his drink.

"Oh! Then let me tell you a secret we're just faking married. He is not my real husband." She whispered into his ear.

"You weren't supposed to tell that to a stranger." He gasped.

"Stranger is hot." She winked.

"Woah! I didn't know you were so good at flirting."

"I had a great teacher."

He laughed as he gulped down another one.

"Okay stop already. You've had enough." She stopped him holding his hand.

"Nope." He shook his head.

She rolled her eyes. "Tell me something, you're still in love with her?"

"What? No!" He laughed out.

"But she still affects you."

"It's just that I was reminded of someone... bitter memories.... of that someone." He sighed.

"Your ex?"

"Someone worse than the worst, whom I can't get rid of no matter what." His eyes had a murderous glint for a second. "Just can't!" He sighed hanging his head.

He filled up his glass again. Rina was very irritated now. "Fine then let me join too. If you're going to go on and on about your ex why shouldn't I?" She took his glass and gulped in one go.

"Rina!" He shouted.

"What my ex cheated on me too! So let's just drink. Cheers." She grabbed another drink. He snatched it from her hand, she glared at him.

"I'm sorry." He looked at her. "I broke your relationship."

"What? Why are you sorry? It's not your fault that he cheated on me. He didn't love me, I was the only one in love. Maybe because I am you know too boring. Even you find me boring, don't you? You wanted to do the scuba diving and shark diving and I canceled your plans because I wanted to just sit and stare at the boring ocean."

"You're not boring." He faced her. "You're the most interesting girl I've ever met. How can someone not love you when you're so lovable?" He leaned in close caressing her cheeks. He ran the pad of his thumb along her lips, her breath hitched and her heart quickened at the gesture. She found herself spellbound, as he inched closer she leaned in gently closing her eyes. His lips met hers in a gentle kiss.