Chapter Thirthy-six - Changes

Start from the beginning

Lottie was outside the front door with her boyfriend Josh when we arrived. She was smoking, a bad habit she had taken up and supposedly dropped again over the past year, so finding her with a cigarette in hand would mean bad news. She hugged us quickly and unusually quietly and let us into the house where we found Jay in the kitchen. Fizz sat at the table, her face pale and her eyes blood shot. "Where are the girls?" Louis asked, feeling more and more worried by the minute. 

"They're upstairs, Phoebe's sleeping and Daisy wanted to stay with her." Jay explained as she put two mugs in front of us, pouring us a cup of tea before she sat down herself. She hesitated but finally spilled the beans when she'd swallowed her sip of tea. "It's leukemia." Fizz started sniffling and Lottie pulled out her pack of cigarettes and started fumbling with her lighter. Josh gently grabbed her hand and took the cigarettes out of it while Louis just sat there, allowing the terrible news to seep in. I put my hand on his leg and squeezed it, although I was pretty baffled myself. 

"What-what now?" Louis finally blurted out, stirring his tea although the sugar had long dissolved. 

Jay shrugged. "It's supposed to be a good thing that her and Daisy are twins. If Daisy's results come back okay and she agrees to it, she can be a bone marrow donor and Phoebe's chances are 98% of full recovery. But she'll have to go through radiation and maybe some chemo therapy to destroy her own  bone marrow first, so it'll be a long way to go either way."

"And what if Daisy can't be a donor?" I asked.

"Then they'll be screening the rest of the family to see if any of us is a suitable donor, and if not, they'll be looking for someone who's registered in the donorbank, but there will be a risk of Phoebe rejecting the transplant, since the genetics won't completely match."

Josh had to go home for dinner, and Lottie and Louis had gone outside for a smoke. I would've protested to Louis smoking, but I knew he needed it now, and I supposed I couldn't blame him. It wasn't like he was doing drugs anyway, and he hadn't touched anything besides alcohol for the last five years. I had helped Jay preparing dinner, and the rest of the night was pretty much spent in silence, apart from a few sniffles here and there, or a question about what was about to come. Louis and I had gone upstairs to see the twins after dinner, but they were both sleeping soundly, Phoebe looked fine, if not a little pale, but there was no way to see that she had in fact cancer. It was just all so unfair. As if his family hadn't gotten enough trouble thrown their way. 

Next week, Daisy's test results came back and she was perfectly fine and a suitable donor, and of course she wanted to do it. Phoebe went to hospital a week later, and received all kinds of treatments to destroy her own bone marrow before she received the transplant a month later. She was in a disclosed room, of which she complained it made her feel like a fish in an aquarium, due to the glass walls from where her visitors waved to her whenever they weren't allowed in the room, even if they dressed in sterile attire. 

But from then, she'd slowly gotten better, and it was now early april and she would be released from the hospital, and was pretty much declared cured. Although she would need regular check ups and a three year disease-free period for it to be official, everything looked good for now. 

"So, are you two coming to Zayn and Helen's party tonight?" Harry questioned, pulling me out of my haze.

"Yeah, of course. Even though we probably won't be staying long, Louis' exams start next week and he wants to end his college-career with high marks." I replied, fiddling with my phone that I had taken out to check the time.

"Oh you two are so boring!" Niall complained, but the twinkle in his eyes made it pretty obvious that he was only teasing me. "What do you reckon their big announcement is? I'm sure they're engaged or something. Or Helen is pregnant. They're so ready to become your everyday settled down couple, don't you think? They'll probably be buying their own house in the suburbs and get a dog or something."