Chapter 70: Terminus Est Initium

Everyone who enters the Terminus must use one of three main methods. The first is entry by air, something only possible to the government, Gentleman's Club, or Indigo International. The second is via a specialised submarine, capable of getting past the Air Wall. The third is considered the 'main' entrance, a narrow passage of rapidly flowing water, almost resembling a reverse waterfall. This passage is known as the Gogh Strait. It leads directly to Farewell Island, which has become known as the 'starting point' of the Terminus.

There, they offer merchandise with the phrase 'Terminus Est Initium', or 'The end is the beginning'. They greet people with 'farewell', and they do not remember people's names. It is an island that has grown accustomed to one-time tourists: people passing through and never returning.

Though the rumour has it that most people die at some point in their journey, there is a large contingent that find a place so wondrous that they stay, and a rare handful that make it all the way to Duddlewane Island, though getting further than that is rarer still, as the government maintain control of the island.

Beyond the first island, the Terminus has several specific currents, that lead to other islands. The currents of the sea are somewhat unpredictable, and the waters generally only calm once a ship finds itself close to shore.

Crock's Army had chosen a path, and it took them to their first island, a mass of trees called The Wilderlands.

"There's trees growing on the trees," said Munge in disbelief.

"Hark! Who goes there?" echoed an elderly male voice.

"Sh-show yourself!" said Falhad, who pushed to the front of the group and drew his sword. He put on his bravest face while swallowing his saliva.

"Settle down, lad," said the voice. "I'll be with you in a minute, I'm not done watching me stories."

Though they could not tell where the voice was coming from, it echoed loudly. They waited for something to happen, and a few minutes later, the entire island began to rumble.

"My, what a peculiar place," said Efelgart Bridge.

Their second stop was Merstranger Island. The fleet of ships would take the Roller Falls down to the island, a current built like a roller coaster that descended to the bottom of the sea. The island was located in a mysterious hole in the ocean, water surrounded the kingdom, but did not submerge it. Submarines could bypass the Roller Falls, but ships could not.

"What a wild ride that was," said Efelgart Bridge.

"Are you going to comment on everything?" asked Munge.

"It's good for my memory to express how I'm feeling, when I'm feeling it. Even if I'm stating the obvious."

"Let's just hope that doesn't get old," said Falhad.

"My, you're a brave one, aren't you? The way you speak your mind inspires me, young one," said Efelgart.

Meanwhile, in the kingdom palace, a disagreement was occurring between a young prince and his guards.

"Prince Octopodes, I hope you're not planning on greeting the strangers who have landed at our shores," said one guard.

"Oh, but if I don't, what will they think of our people?"

The third island was the uninhabited Lincoln Island.

"There are bizarre formations on this island," said Falhad. "It's as if someone terraformed it to suit their needs."

"Lad, if someone did such a thing, they would earn my utmost respect," said Efelgart.

"Nope, that's definitely not getting old," said Munge.