Chapter 6: The Rough-House Pirates

All around the Phobos Sea, the name of the Rough-House Gang is known. A group that doubles as a pirate crew as well as a gang, they have holds on all major islands. Perhaps their strongest base of operations is on Burundi, and its name is Negare Astrum. They have about thirty-two members of the gang stationed here, including the leader, who is rarely, if ever, mentioned by name without his permission.

It was two-fifteen p.m. and there was one and three-quarter hours until the Detective Pirates were scheduled to meet. James and company were walking through town, when they came across a five-star restaurant. Milangelo and Crock had agreed to go and find Cameron. They had just heard that five people had been taken hostage by the attackers of the market. Piranha's boss had dismissed him to sort through some work.

"What a hassle. At least these eels will taste spectacular."

He threw away the papers on his desk and made his way to another part of the warehouse. There was a person in a hazmat suit, and a table set up to look like a kitchen bench.

"Excellent, Freshwater. I have thirteen pounds of eels. Make the soup," said the man.

"Right away, sir. Strong or weak?" asked Freshwater.

"At least three pounds of strong. The rest can be whatever you feel like brewing."

"You know, you're probably the best boss I've ever had."

"Is that so? How sad. You must be an underachiever."

"Yeah, you know it. But I make a mean eel soup."

"Well, that's why you're here. To make me eel soup."

Meanwhile, James and company were outside of a restaurant.

"Do we have any money?" asked Patricia.

"Of course, I always carry my–" began James, who felt that his pocket was oddly absent of his wallet.

Karnilla burst out laughing. "Relax, I stole it."

"Relax, she says, after admitting to stealing my wallet."

"You looked really handsome in that license photo."

"Which one?" asked Patricia, with an expression that said This game is fun. That was all it needed to say.

"His license to kill," answered Karnilla.

"That's awesome," said Patricia.

"You two and your games. How is this even fair? It's not like I get a photo of you to comment on."

"That's not how this game works. But you're smart, right? You should know how to play," said Patricia.

"Not necessarily true, Pat. Mister Captain is still learning. He's only smart when he knows what the game is," said Karnilla.

James wanted to dispute that, but instead he asked Karnilla for his wallet back.

"You aren't going to play this game?" asked Karnilla.

"There's a time and there's a place for having your games up in my face," replied James.

"Well we decide that time and place, so stop trying to hide your face," added Patricia.

"You two call me Mister Captain, as if those words mean nothing. I want respect, not acting, because those words mean something."

"You've got a point, but don't you see, it's a necessary action. These games are the only way for our trust to gain traction."