Chapter 32: Second Chance

Wilvus Forebaggage sat on his throne, eagerly awaiting the next performance of the Second Chance Circus. Martin had finished preparations, and all of the performers were ready.

Martin gave the introductory speech, and prepared Wilvus for another intense entertainment session.

"Our first act for Your Majesty is the great cup diver, Holden Glasgow!" announced Martin excitedly.

A cup of water appeared on the ground in front of the high platform. A man appeared on the platform and bowed. He straightened up, jumped and did a flip. He outstretched his hands in a ta-da motion, first to the left and then to the right. He straightened up again and dove off the platform. He fell straight down into the cup and appeared to vanish. A small splash could be observed in the cup, and then he re-appeared standing tall, confident, wet, and holding the cup in his right hand. He drank the water in the cup and made another two ta-da motions. He then moved swiftly offstage as Martin began to announce the next performance.

Next up was the turning tightrope walk – by Ollacosta Adams and Garrett Eves. The high platform turned into two, with a tightrope in-between them. Ollacosta and Garrett appeared on opposite sides of the tightrope and began to walk toward each other. As they walked, the tightrope began to turn, until they were upside-down.

"Release the dragon!" said Martin.

A dragon appeared from out of the wall and began to fly around the tightrope. The two tightrope walkers continued to move forward, and the tightrope continued to turn. Once they were right-side up again, a sword appeared tied to Garrett's belt, and Garrett drew it and held it above his head as the dragon flew over him. The dragon moved until its entire torso had been pierced, and then it exploded into about seven or eight fireworks.

The two turned around and began to walk back across the tightrope as the middle began to burn. The rope snapped as they were halfway back. They continued to walk as the rope gave way, and reached the platforms just as the wire had completely burnt up. They centred themselves on the opposing platforms and gave a bow as they move toward each other and remerged. They then disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Martin appeared in their place and announced the next performance: lion-taming with the dancing clown, Eric Eager.

A cage appeared in the centre stage, housing a rather sad lion within it. Martin seemed surprised.

"We talked about this, you good-for-nothing lion!" he said.

"I can't keep doing this, Martin. Please, you've got to let me out of here. And give me back my circus!" said the lion.

"Ha! Well, now the lion is a bit more lively, let us introduce him to his tamer: Eric Eager."

"Oh, not this again. Please, Eric, we've known each other for the better part of thirty years. Why do you let him run this show?"

"He has a vision that you never did. Our shows have edge now. And we're overthrowing this country."

"And? Is that supposed to mean something?"

"Shut up and get tamed, old friend."

A large portion of the floor began to disappear and in its place a pool full of sharks emerged. The lion's cage faded away, and Eric and the lion were left on two of the only remaining portions of ground. The lion jumped to a portion of ground that had been raised, and gave a loud roar. Eric jumped onto the higher ground that was opposite the lion's. As they began to enact a lion-tamer routine whilst avoiding the sharks, they also argued with each other over some unresolved issues.