Chapter 24: Invasion

That morning, on the eighteenth of November, Cameron and Milangelo recounted their tale of alien abduction to the rest of the crew.

"That certainly is quite the tale," said James.

"I'd buy it on blu-ray," said Crock.

"Did that really happen?" asked Persimmon.

James prompted the crew to follow him to their detainment quarters. He noted that this was the first time he had to make use of the space, and explained that last night, they had an unwelcome guest that matched the description of one of the aliens from Cameron and Milangelo's story.

They stood in front of the steel door to Chonk's cell.

"You think you can hold the mighty Chonk?" shouted Chonk.

Patricia, Karnilla, Persimmon, and Crock burst out laughing.

"His voice is ridiculous, but the novelty wears off quickly," said Milangelo.

"After knowing what he's capable of, I don't quite feel like laughing at his voice," said Cameron.

"Speaking of, what happened last night?" asked James.

Cameron and James talked to each other and came to understand the full details of what had happened last night, as did everyone else.

"When I get out of here, I will crush your skulls and take your torsos as trophies!" exclaimed Chonk.

"What should we do about him?" asked Persimmon.

"I have no idea," answered James honestly.

Outside Earth's orbit, the fighter ships of The Million were being loaded with troops from the remaining fleet ship.

Aboard the mothership, Phenos was listening to a report from Two-Seven about the status of the fleet.

"Faulty programming detected in eighty percent of soldiers."

"How did this happen?"

"Malware attack. I traced the source back to the galactic internet for prosthetic organs."

"Okay, who's the wise guy who went shopping for organs?" asked Phenos to his commanders.

"One can never have enough spleens," said Friend.

"Your species doesn't need spleens," said Phenos.

"Don't tell me what I do and don't need!" said Friend, who then bowed his head and left swiftly.

"For future protection, it is recommended that you have the latest system software installed," said Two-Seven.

"Seriously? This whole thing just keeps finding new ways to screw me."

"Sixty-three thousand and four hundred soldiers operating at full-capacity, sir."

"Unbelievable. I only have ten percent of my fighting forces at their full-strength and only half to use, and I haven't even begun the invasion yet."

"Sir, we can always retreat and retry at a later date," said Cindalyn.

"No, Cindalyn. We are moving ahead with the plan."

"This is why I like the captain," said Klokar.

The fleet of three-hundred and seventeen thousand soldiers now occupied three thousand, one hundred and seventy ships, which were ready and waiting to be dispatched upon Phenos' order. Meanwhile, in a kingdom in the Hephaestus Sea, a large mechanical bird had landed to roost in the leftmost tower of a magnificent stone castle.